Thread: Vacuum Nozzle

Default Vacuum Nozzle

Finally got around to finishing the vacuum nozzle for my Desktop. It allows for me to "See what I'm cutting" Fully adjustable and gets 80-90% of the chip.

Nozzle.jpg

Looks good, and glad it works for you!
    Static season well be here soon....bare copper wire inside and up the hose to ground?
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Static season well be here soon...
    Maybe static season forthcoming for you Mainer's but down here it's tropical storm and hurricane season into December......Lots of moisture in the air

( I do have ground circuit installed though)

I STILL had static on the 98% RH humidity days this year that would lift the hairs on my arm when using the non-grounded Fein hose for cleaning sawdust behind the machine Ron
    AND try to keep shop around 50-60% with a dehumidifier to keep woods stable(except when it would raise temps too much like during our record July).
    Seeing some nice work out of your Desktop Ron!
    keep cutting!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

That is a really interesting design. Can you tell me a little about why you didn't stick with the brush skirt design?

Interesting, how effective is it?

Phil

would you post more about the details of your modification? Looks really good.

First, why I didn't stick with the skirt design: Mainly because I like to see what's cutting.

Second, How effective is it: Vacuums up 89-90% of the chips if adjusted properly and you have a good vacuum source. Yes it does take a little more setup time than the brush skirt but what the heck this is a hobby for me and not into production work.

Third, More details.....
    See the attached images for the parts.
    For the nozzle I put several layers of glass cloth/epoxy resin over a foam mold I carved from Big Box foam board and sanding between layers. I then poured acetone into the nozzle to dissolve the foam.
    A two part female mold would not have required sanding between the layers however, as this was a one off part I couldn't see going to the trouble/time of making the two part mold.
    It's fully adjustable to obtain the best chip removal for different bits.
    Vac Nozzle.jpg

Oops, that’s 80-90% not 89-90

Just a thought, I believe that if you attached a skirt that only enclosed the area near the router, not the whole mount, you might increase the performance.

Phil