Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Errant profile cut

All sbp files should be run from the C drive. Not across a network, not on an SD card and certainly not on a USB stick. Both USB and SD hardware should be properly ejected before physically removing them.

If you adhere to those guidelines you'll eliminate a lot of problems you don't even know could happen...like USB selective suspend shutting down hours in, the USB bus dropping sb3 connection because you didn't eject etc.

At this point in the game, most glitches are user error in one form or another. Reevaluate each step of what you are doing with a fine toothed comb. This is a great learning opportunity as you build your skills. Too often the blame is anywhere other than ourselves. We're all guilty of it... being honest with yourself will often reveal what has been hidden in your routine so you can solve the problem.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    All sbp files should be run from the C drive. Not across a network, not on an SD card and certainly not on a USB stick. Both USB and SD hardware should be properly ejected before physically removing them.

If you adhere to those guidelines you'll eliminate a lot of problems you don't even know could happen...like USB selective suspend shutting down hours in, the USB bus dropping sb3 connection because you didn't eject etc.

At this point in the game, most glitches are user error in one form or another. Reevaluate each step of what you are doing with a fine toothed comb. This is a great learning opportunity as you build your skills. Too often the blame is anywhere other than ourselves. We're all guilty of it... being honest with yourself will often reveal what has been hidden in your routine so you can solve the problem.
    Interesting. If what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) then I guess I’ve been fortunate as all my files have been run from a USB stick without encountering errors. As my Vectric work is done on my desktop computer than transferred via USB stick to my control computer. I’ll change my modus operandi to transfer from stick to C drive then run the file.

I am not informed enough to know for certain about running from a flash drive but I have followed Brady's and other's advice on this for a number of years. One added benefit of transfering from the flash to the control computer is that you are creating a backup of the files. I usually just copy the whole file (Aspire file and all) from my design computer to a flash to the control computer. Viola another backup of my file with almost no effort.

It's been more than six years of error free use of the SD card. I've not encountered any errors at all with my SB except when the power fluctuates and that's not very often. I've run jobs that have taken literally days without any issues at all. Have I been lucky? Does my dinky Windows 7 computer have something special? Does using a fast SD card eliminate this potential error? Does having a PRS Alpha mitigate issues like this?

I'm a "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" guy so until I have a problem, I'm going to continue using my SD card to run files.

Frankly, a lot of the advice I've seen on this forum for solving comm errors border on superstition and old wives tales.

For instance, the idea of running a physical wire down the dust collection hose. That's actually ludicrous. If you have the proper hose that's rated for dust collection, the wire that keeps the hose from collapsing is perfectly suitable for collecting static electricity if that wire itself is grounded. That's what I do. Did I mention I've gone six years without a comm error?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Knock on wood!!!
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Have you actually looked at your cut file to verify its correct?
    I've accidently entered incorrect cut or step down depths more times than I care to admit...

What does the cut file specify for the first depth of the profile cut (open it in the editor)? Remove any copyrighted objects in your file (models), zip it up and post it so we can take a look at.

Decimal point in the wrong place? 8.15/6 is 1.35 which could be possible without hitting the collet.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    What does the cut file specify for the first depth of the profile cut (open it in the editor)? Remove any copyrighted objects in your file (models), zip it up and post it so we can take a look at.

Decimal point in the wrong place? 8.15/6 is 1.35 which could be possible without hitting the collet.
    Profile.zip

The Aspire Toolpath:
    Cut depth .815
    7 passes (Oops, thought it was 6)

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    It's been more than six years of error free use of the SD card. I've not encountered any errors at all with my SB except when the power fluctuates and that's not very often. I've run jobs that have taken literally days without any issues at all. Have I been lucky? Does my dinky Windows 7 computer have something special? Does using a fast SD card eliminate this potential error? Does having a PRS Alpha mitigate issues like this?

I'm a "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" guy so until I have a problem, I'm going to continue using my SD card to run files.

Frankly, a lot of the advice I've seen on this forum for solving comm errors border on superstition and old wives tales.

For instance, the idea of running a physical wire down the dust collection hose. That's actually ludicrous. If you have the proper hose that's rated for dust collection, the wire that keeps the hose from collapsing is perfectly suitable for collecting static electricity if that wire itself is grounded. That's what I do. Did I mention I've gone six years without a comm error?
    Why is it that those who give the most definitive answers self-admit to never having the problem?

It's talk like this that drives those of us who actually do know by first hand experience away from the SBF.

For the record, all those 'superstitious' COM/grounding/SD/USB recommendations - were 'officially' recommended by SB support at one point or another.

I'm not here for ego stroking. As far as I am concerned, y'all can stroke each other from here on out.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Watson View Post
    Why is it that those who give the most definitive answers self-admit to never having the problem?

It's talk like this that drives those of us who actually do know by first hand experience away from the SBF.

For the record, all those 'superstitious' COM/grounding/SD/USB recommendations - were 'officially' recommended by SB support at one point or another.

I'm not here for ego stroking. As far as I am concerned, y'all can stroke each other from here on out.
    Well I’m not stroking anyone.....sorry I brought up the question in the first place. Just trying to understand what happened with my cut. As you can see by the settings from the Vectric file as well as the cut file it appears something went wonky.