Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Errant profile cut

Default Errant profile cut

The last cut on a project (profile cut) went wrong.
    No problem with the previous roughing cut, the 3D finish cut or the Vcarve cut.
    When I ran the profile cut the bit plunged completely through the material and cut the profile.
    Material thickness was .800
    Set the z zero after bit change
    Z Zero set on material surface
    Profile depth of cut was set at .815
    Multiple passes set for profile (6)
    Tabs set at .375 length and .200 height.
    Scared the **** out of me but I let the cut continue until at the start of the cut it again plunged the cutter at which time I hit the spacebar.

Check connection for Z prox switch and maybe bent/scraped/broken wire?
    Any components acting wonky in any way recently(mouse/keyboard/monitor/USB?)
    No USB stick left in slot?
    ALL software updates and antivirus OFF, and power settings to always ON?

Did you check "I have Z limit switch(prox)" box when setting up?
    When Z-Zeroed new bit, did it retract to Safe-Z after second tap, Pause for a sec,continue up to to limit switch, and lower .125"?

ALL cuts were good until then Ron?

Didn't happen to do a Spacebar Pause, open a file or something, and then hit Resume did you?

Tired and that's all I can think of except static until caffeine tomorrow am.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

No, everything was normal up until the profile cut.
    The 3D finish cut was a rather long one 4+ hours but the following Vcarve was normal
    I now have a rather deep circle cut into my spoilboard

Did you pause the job at anytime during the cut?

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    Did you pause the job at anytime during the cut?
    No. Not during the final profile cut.

Only stopped between bit changes for each Toolpath

Did the Z axis actually move or did your end mill slide out of the collet? An upcut end mill exerts quite a lot of downward pull on the end mill. If the collet nut isn't tight enough, it will pull the end mill out and destroy your spoilboard. I've had that happen before (have the mark in my spoilboard to remind me constantly). Be sure your collet is tightened appropriately. If you have a spindle, it is nearly impossible to overtighten the collet nut.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

No. Not during the final profile cut.

Only stopped between bit changes for each Toolpath
    Did you completely stop, or just pause? There's an odd bug in SB3 that if you pause during a job and start again, every now and then it'll send the Z axis down WAY too far.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    Did the Z axis actually move or did your end mill slide out of the collet? An upcut end mill exerts quite a lot of downward pull on the end mill. If the collet nut isn't tight enough, it will pull the end mill out and destroy your spoilboard. I've had that happen before (have the mark in my spoilboard to remind me constantly). Be sure your collet is tightened appropriately. If you have a spindle, it is nearly impossible to overtighten the collet nut.
    I really wish it was that simple however the bit is in the same position as I started. What shocked me at the beginning of the cut was how close the collet nut was to my material surface when it plunged down.

I’m going to do an air cut with the same file to see what happens. Depending on that outcome I’ll run a new file and cross my fingers. Actually I’ll have my fingers close to the kill switch

"No USB stick left in slot?" I had never had an issue with that for over 10 years then . . . . . 6 hours into a job it 'wonked'! Fortunately I was able to get the job back on track but what the curse seemed to relate back to was, I had left the 'transfer' thumbdrive in and it was 'blinking'! I had no idea that was even possible but . . . . I hope your plunging Z gets fixed. It is so frustrating to have a glitch and not be able to find an answer. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

If I'm bringing in a file from another computer, I run it directly off the SD card. If I'm writing it on the control computer, I run it off the computer hard drive. I've never had a problem running off the SD card before.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool