Thread: Talk to me about workflow!

Question Talk to me about workflow!

Hey everyone, I'm working on building some software that will let you go from an idea (CAD drawing) to cutting parts a lot faster (at least in theory!)

This isn't a sales call at all (I don't have anything to sell!) We're taking a very different approach to this and would like your ideas and feedback.

If you're be interested in talking I have a link here where you can sign up:

https://fabber.youcanbook.me/

Just pick a time that works for you. I personally give you a call, we talk for a few minutes, and that's it!

Our workflow...

CAD > CAM > GCODE > CUTOUT > SANDING > FINISHING > SELL THE PRODUCT

Somewhere in between all that are afternoon naps, trips to the lumber yard, and the biggie: THINKING UP NEW IDEAS (ideas that can SELL).
    Last edited by woodshop; 09-24-2019 at 08:16 AM. Reason: edit
    Our most important shop tool is the pencil sharpener!

Purchase material -> Material prep - > DESIGN HOLD DOWN METHOD -> CAD -> CAM -> GCODE -> CUT/CARVE -> CLEANUP (CHISELS, SANDING, DREMEL, etc.) -> STAINING, CLEAR COATING -> QC -> PRESENT TO CUSTOMER/SELL

And like Dave says, in between we have to build in nap time, trips to the outhouse, Checking Facebook (LOL), Taking the dog for a walk.....
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

HA!

Specifically what I'm looking for is your CAD>GCODE experience. I'd be happy to talk about Facebook and naps too!

Sorry Eric, just being a smart &$*....

Specifically, I use Aspire for all things that can't be done in eCabinets. I've made lots of chairs using Aspire as well as other furniture. I've also used Aspire to create the curved bending forms for when I make curved faceframes for cabinets. I have looked into what I can do to go from Sketchup to GCODE, but haven't had much success in that department without large cash outlays. In Aspire I do a combination of 2D vector designs as well as extruding for making moldings. Occasionally I incorporate 3D carvings in to cabinet door panels and other furniture pieces.

Work flow:

1. Get customer requirements/specifications/requests
    2. Figure out what materials I'm going to need to meet those requirements/specifications/requests
    3. Work on project design as well as manufacturing design (how am I going to make it in addition to WHAT I'm going to make). I think, the manufacturing process can take almost as much effort as the project design effort. Sometimes you have to get VERY creative
    4. Get material blanks ready for machining
    5. Output the GCODE (SBLink or Aspire) to a USB stick, take it to CNC control machine, load it up and go
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

That's really insightful but not exactly what I'm digging for. This is really something that can only be expressed via phone which is why I have the booking link on the first post. Would you be willing to chat on the phone?