Thread: Machining small aluminum Braille plates

Default Machining small aluminum Braille plates

I've been asked to machine small (.125 x .5 x 2") aluminum plates. The finished product will be a plate with raised "Braille" bumps. I have no experience machining aluminum.
    I'd appreciate any advice and/ or warnings before I agree to the project. The aluminum is 6061.

Thanks,

Phil

ADA signs are made by inserting the balls into the plate. Do some googling...
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com

Quote Originally Posted by phil_o View Post
    I've been asked to machine small (.125 x .5 x 2") aluminum plates. The finished product will be a plate with raised "Braille" bumps. I have no experience machining aluminum.
    I'd appreciate any advice and/ or warnings before I agree to the project. The aluminum is 6061.

Thanks,

Phil
    What are you being asked to do?
    If I were asked to simply make rectangular 1/2"x2" blanks out of 1/8" thick 6061 aluminum I'd just whip em out on a table saw with a jig. It's much quicker.

If you are being asked to do the holes for the raster braille balls, it's just a drilling operation drilling 1/32"+ deep holes using a 1/16" bit.

The raster braille system makers sell the drill bits for the balls at around $18.00/ea but they're essentially just a 1/16" drill bit. If you're doing the drilling buy a couple (or more depending on how many you need to do...)

I have the raster braille pen with the accessories to do metal, so I've done a good bit of this. In both Aluminum and Stainless Steel.

I appreciate the help from all here. I searched for raster braille balls and found out that machining a metal plate to create the Braille "bumps" is not how it should be done. This video shows how it should be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXLuaRbZHM

Thanks,

Phil

I appreciate the help from all here. I searched for raster braille balls and found out that machining a metal plate to create the Braille "bumps" is not how it should be done. This video shows how it should be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXLuaRbZHM

Thanks,

Phil
    That's for plastic or substrates that are NOT metal.
    When doing raster braille balls in plastic or wood the hole is a little undersized and the braille balls are press fit in place.
    When doing metal, the process is completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by robtown View Post
    That's for plastic or substrates that are NOT metal.
    When doing raster braille balls in plastic or wood the hole is a little undersized and the braille balls are press fit in place.
    When doing metal, the process is completely different.
    Are you familiar with the process. Where can I find information for metal

Thanks,

Phil

Are you familiar with the process. Where can I find information for metal

Thanks,

Phil
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcLUVy_bKDk

Thank you, Robtown

Phil