Thread: Newbie here needs help

Hybrid View

Default Newbie here needs help

Hey guys my name is Brian and a cabinet builder in Greenville SC. I recently purchased a PRS Alpha 48 96 and attended the training class at Shopbot. I have had this tool for over a month and just learning my way around everything but I have to admit....when I started I had no idea what I was doing....I am learning now for sure but I have tons of questions and doing tons of research. I look forward to learning from you and my apologies in advance if I ask some stupid questions.

My old boss always told me "No stupid questions, only stupid mistakes"...
    I learned a lot with YouTube videos, Shopbot and Vectric.
    Use up all your scrap wood laying around the shop making test cuts. You will make mistakes but will learn from them.

I have a secret and that is I am a model maker, that is why I bought a Bot. However I have made lots of other stuff, furniture, signs, mantles, etc,. What I have discovered is if I have a pending BIG project I can make a model of it to see if the concept works, if it does then its on to the full size EXPENSIVE stuff! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

If you are using Aspire or V-Carve I suggest you go to the Vectric forum too. There's a lot of good help there.

Phil

>> ...but I have tons of questions

The first step in that journey is to ask a question.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Thanks guys! I am on it and have already drawn my first 2 projects and cut one of them Friday. I also made a flattening file for some walnut trays I am going to make and my new surfacing bit is burning the wood on the pass.
    Tool Amana 45566
    18000 RPM
    50 in/min.
    Can I change the feed and speed rates on the toolpath itself or go into the tool data base and change it? When changing feeds and speeds whats a good rule of thumb to go by? How much faster or slower should I go to get a better result? Do I increase the RPM's and the move speed or just one at a time?