Thread: Suggestions on dust masks?

Default Suggestions on dust masks?

Does anyone have suggestions for dust masks? I've used the 2-strap 3m ones for years but find them uncomfortable enough these days that I don't use them all the time any more.

I've been seeing this new style (to me at least) ones that wrap around your neck and over your ears that are supposed to be comfortable and not fog your glasses. Anyone have experience with them or have a better option?

face mask.jpg

One of the shopbotters uses RZ masks and says they are comfortable. She says they do a good job filtering out HDU dust

The picture of a creepy guy up to no good would make me shy away from that product. Seriously, I use the masks with the rubber bands and a one way valve. Specifically, the 3M Aura mask. It works well for me, is comfortable and being white, I can tell how contaminated it is with a glance. They don't fog my glasses either.

3m_aura.jpg
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I just gave up on disposables years ago and use a 3m paint mask. Some of the sanders are near dustless with a vacuum and that has helped me immensely. The mask shown in your post looks like it would be fine for the ethically dubious surgeries I perform below my shop.

I agree those masks make you pretty sketchy looking, but since i work by myself it's not that much of a concern. And most of the folks that stop in are pretty sketchy themselves, even without masks!

I'll give the Aura masks a turning before turning to the dark side. I hadn't seen them before....thanks for the tip

Bill

I use the resp-po- rator I do not use the nose pincher it easy to breath through your mouth and exhale though nose Been using them just about every day for close to 10 years. Great for dust I will use a canister respirator for solvent based finishes. no glasses fogging or discomfort and I really do not care about what it looks like.

https://www.amazon.com/Resp-O-Rator-.../dp/B002KA0CMO