Thread: Major control software computer crash

Island Furniture Ltd., Vaucluse Factory St. Thomas

Default Major control software computer crash

My ancient XP computer that ran the control software crashed badly with hard drive in such bad shape that it can't be cloned. I do not remember which update of version 3 was installed so would like to run the control software on a windows 10 computer in the came room.

The Bot was purchased new in 2001 ( PRT 48 x 96)and has given virtually no trouble until now. Anyone else had a similar experience and/or suggestions? Am a bit concerned that the old control software will not run in Windows 10.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have emailed tech support as well.

Many thanks in advance.

You should just fine running SB3 on Windows 10. Just make sure you follow all of ShopBot's recommendations for setting up a computer. Depending on how old your machine is you may need upgrade your control card if yours doesn't have USB.

Maybe some of the people with early PRTs here could chime in...

I have an older Shopbot, PRT 4g and I am running SB3 on Windows 10. All is fine. As far as your dead hard drive goes, you may be able to retrieve the files. Google for "connect hard drive to laptop via usb". The hard drive should show up as another drive in File Explorer, such as E:/. From there you can access all of the files on your old hard drive. I've done this several times with dead hard drives.

Phil

Thanks for the input. At this stage I am installing the controller software on my design computer but for some reason it is not installing correctly. I installed as a test on another W10 computer and it installs perfectly. Have an IT guy coming up later today to fix the problem. I will advise him about the connect hard drive to laptop via usb and see what he thinks. The cloning has only managed to clone 30% of the damaged hard drive in 24 hours - this does not sound very encouraging. Will keep everyone posted as to progress.

by the way - Aaron was super helpful at ShopBot - and the response time was about 10 minutes.