Thread: Newest control software

Default Newest control software

I have not been happy for a very long time with the quality of cuts that i have been getting on my 3-d carvings. It appears that it is a z-backlash. But most of the time i can sand out the uneven cuts, but not always. I went just alittle bit stupid here recently and loaded the new control software, now the quality is even worse. Has anyone else had issues with the new control software or is it just me..

What machine do you have and when was the last time you replaced the pinions?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I have a buddy prs. I rocked along for years without changing my pinions. I finally did for no other reason than the fact that they were like me, old. That is when my problem began and has not gotten any better, how ever maybe a new z pinion might be worth a try. thanks.

Are the problems only when you are doing 3d carving?

Getting the right tension on the pinions is not a trivial task. If the problems started after replacing the pinions, I'd check for slop in the gears and perhaps double check the tension.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

they are most noticeable when doing 3-d, but v carving could be better. I cut perfect circles but at times there appears to be some chatter in the v grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy1296 View Post
    Has anyone else had issues with the new control software or is it just me..
    No it's not just you & it is not version specific. Some releases just work better on some tools than others. My advice would be to revert to whatever version you were using previously. For instance, I like v3.5.18 for a number of reasons. Your mileage will vary - and be sure the software will work for the version of control card you have. You'll have to jump through some hoops to download versions older than v3.6.x via the Way Back Machine. Here's an example...get it while you can: Archived Versions of SB3

As for the machine itself, BT with AL table...those use four #2 v-roller bearings to carry the entire weight of the AL table and spoilboard glue up. Quite frankly, it's a lame setup. The best I could get mine was about .008" of backlash/slop and a lot of fine tuning. My strong recommendation would be to upgrade the table bearings to either supported round rail linear bearings or block & rail profiled bearings. It's a pretty easy conversion to do even if you're only 'a little smart'. This will make that moving table WAY more stable and your cut quality will immediately improve. I'd also have a close look at the motor mount and see if it made sense to beef it up. Flex = bad.

As the great Gary Campbell has said in the past, "You can't fix hardware problems with software" - I'd have to agree. However, you can mitigate some of the shock loads and abrupt movements that cause the tool to vibrate and wiggle around by adjusting the VR settings where appropriate. It goes without saying that you should power up the tool, move each axis to several locations in its travel and shake the axes up/down and all around (aka CNC hokey pokey) - Listen and feel for movement/slop and adjust accordingly.
    High Definition 3D Laser Scanning Services - Advanced ShopBot CNC Training and Consultation - Vectric Custom Video Training IBILD.com