Thread: Precise cutting of heavy brass tube

Default Precise cutting of heavy brass tube

I had a need to make bearings out of a brass tube and each piece had to be within a thousandth of spec. I had a brainstorm to use the SB as a measuring device and came up with this contraption.

The rod is 1/2" diameter with a 1/4" inside diameter.

The multitool is level and square to the machine and locked to a piece of 2x4 by landscaping tape and hot glue. Not exactly a permanent fixture but good enough for the job.

To actually cut the rod, I used the keyboard function, "D" set at 0.001" and set the zero position within 0.02" of the multitool blade. Then I just arrow keyed the tube into the rod with the RPM's at 6,000. The wire runs up the tube a short distance and catches the rings as they separate.

To repeat, I move Y to zero, zero Z and lowered the Z to the desired depth for the next cut.

I made a couple of test cuts to calculate kerf and see how good the cut quality was and then subsequent cuts were good. I needed 12 at 0.250" and 4 at 0.500".

After cutting, I cleaned them up with a disk sander and they were ready to use.

IMG_20191210_171036.jpg
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Did you cut with the multitool or run the spindle? I guess the spindle would be way too fast after seeing my words.

The spindle was on, 6,000 RPM's and the multitool was also on. After the job, the blade looked untouched.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Default Great thinking

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    I had a need to make bearings out of a brass tube and each piece had to be within a thousandth of spec. I had a brainstorm to use the SB as a measuring device and came up with this contraption.

The rod is 1/2" diameter with a 1/4" inside diameter.

The multitool is level and square to the machine and locked to a piece of 2x4 by landscaping tape and hot glue. Not exactly a permanent fixture but good enough for the job.

To actually cut the rod, I used the keyboard function, "D" set at 0.001" and set the zero position within 0.02" of the multitool blade. Then I just arrow keyed the tube into the rod with the RPM's at 6,000. The wire runs up the tube a short distance and catches the rings as they separate.

To repeat, I move Y to zero, zero Z and lowered the Z to the desired depth for the next cut.

I made a couple of test cuts to calculate kerf and see how good the cut quality was and then subsequent cuts were good. I needed 12 at 0.250" and 4 at 0.500".

After cutting, I cleaned them up with a disk sander and they were ready to use.

IMG_20191210_171036.jpg
    Nice work John, I love your thinking, something I would dream up.

Here's what I am making:

00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191213132103685_COVER.jpg

The tolerances in the hinge joint are just about right. Tight, but still loose enough to open under the weight of the clamp.
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool