Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've been using VCarve Pro for many years on a generic 24 X 24 machine I bought off

Yep
    With Lowers removed so I could increase damping and sit back on long sections in Canada and Maine turnpikes with my feet on Krausers and steer with hand moves in the slipstream
    Come October...lowers and the jugs really helped feet stay warm
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Going to buy a Desktop this week. Need advice about transporting. How hard it is to remove the gantry to make the unit easier to lift?

Bud,
    My serious advice on removing Gantry is DON'T! (no need to go into gruesome details of Yaxis bearings)
    Only 148 pounds with spindle and no crate....my friend and his girlfriend slid the crate out onto a rolling delta workstand, and then carried it 40'(recommend work gloves for lower edge of frame.it's hard on hands).
    My 84yr old mother and me in the wheelchair managed to slide my machine onto it's final rolling stand with little difficulty.
    DO recommend either a rolling stand or a furniture dolly(?) to travel from shop to car etc.
    DO align gantry with direction of travel...and tie gantry so it can't move.

It's definitely a 2 person job though. Maybe hire some of sellers friends? And then at home offer pizza and beer to your friends, AFTER they move it
    Easily fits in hatchbacks/minivan/small pickups.....we used to take one of ours to some craft shows a few times.

Congrats on purchase!
    E-mail for any questions Bud.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Bud,
    You could easily remove spoilboard and aluminum deck fairly easily for a savings of 15 pounds(Totally a guess on my part on the weight...could be almost 20 pounds(?) ).
    scott P.
    Maine

Thanks Scott. I'm pretty sure the owner and I can move it. The sale includes a stand for machine (without wheels) and another stand for the PC (with wheels) as well as a Fein HEPA vacuum and a cyclone dust connection system. Therefore I'm going to rent a small U-Haul trailer to bring it home.

My wife is going with me to pick it up and we sill make it a mini-vacation.

Life is good.

Sounds excellent Bud
    Like it has a dedicated DC system the same as mine...I like the Old Fein TurboII because motor has 5 power settings, and quite often use setting 2-3 for VCarving and such....and you can simply Talk in a reasonable voice. Make sure you blow out HEPA when you get home, and I recommend using one of the factory paper bags to keep HEPA clean for when you forget the Dust Deputy's chip/fines level like in pic

Don't forget to line gantry with direction of car travel, and to tie gantry down.
    Duck Brand "No Residue" Tape and moving blankets come in handy
    Good to have the wife involved right from the start, and make it a mini-vacation!

Enjoy!
    scott
    Last edited by scottp55; 12-31-2019 at 04:37 AM.
    scott P.
    Maine