Thread: Computer Requirements

Default Computer Requirements

I have had my Alpha 60x96 since 2007 using the same computer with Windows XP. Yes...I don't fix it if it's not broken. Well the computer died this morning. Has power will not turn on. I am looking to upgrade control software and new computer. However, I am not a computer guy. Will ya'll help out an old timer? I have been running my initial control software with Parts Wizard and using AUTOCAD LT98 for design. Get your laughs over, then please help me. Thanks guys for any help.

I think you need to consider not only what the Shopbot will require but also the design and machining (CAD CAM) software. You may want to consider a Vectric product such as VCarve. The two links below address both the machine and the software.
    Shopbot computer requirements; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgsEVSRpJqM
    VCarve computer requirements https://www.vectric.com/support/system-requirements

Phil

My SB computer, which has run flawlessly since 2013, is starting to have trouble starting up. I've solved the problem for now by not turning it off. I'm guessing the problem may be that the BIOS battery is toast. I don't want to open it for fear of breaking it so I just leave it on.

Yesterday, I ordered a "custom" computer with Windows 7, SSD HD and 8 gig of ram from ebay for $150. This computer is configured very close to my original cheapo Dell and should make for a swap out replacement. I suggest doing the same.

Once I've successfully replaced my old Dell, I'll open it up and fix whatever went wrong with it and keep it on the shelf as a hot spare.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Ahh, the age old question, should I or . . . . . The only thing on my Bot computer is SB! It is an antique XP machine. I have two design computers with Aspire, one in the shop and one in the much warmer house! About 3 years ago I bought another old used XP machine, got it all configured and tested and then set it off for 'future' use. Windoze has added so much internal activity that running a CNC machine using that op system is not for me. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Yeah, if you want to give it a try, pop in a new bois battery and see if it boots up.
    Scott

Default bios battery

Did you have trouble with the clock holding the proper time ? / if so you need a new battery.

if you are changing out a laptop battery, sometimes those can be difficult and you might want to have a computer shop do it as they have done dozens of them
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

That's a good question. I haven't looked at the clock ever. No big deal leaving the computer on. SB works just fine regardless. Going to replace it next week with this groovy "custom" computer for a whopping $150.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Thanks for all your input...I'm not on the forum very often, but when I need help it's always there for me. I never look at my clock either. Guess what...my BOT computer turned on...twice. Maybe I have a few more days to decide what to do. I'm considering another old PC for my machine and a new up-to-date PC for design. My design PC is also Windows XP and most new software will not run on it.

Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Thanks for all your input...I'm not on the forum very often, but when I need help it's always there for me. I never look at my clock either. Guess what...my BOT computer turned on...twice. Maybe I have a few more days to decide what to do. I'm considering another old PC for my machine and a new up-to-date PC for design. My design PC is also Windows XP and most new software will not run on it.

Thanks again!!
    Just get a new design computer and use your old one for the Shopbot