Thread: Two CNC machines one PC

Default Two CNC machines one PC

I am fortunate to own two shopbot machines a buddy (alpha) and a PRS standard.

I recently got the buddy and I am wondering if the laptop i use for the standard will recognize the buddy and work.

Sorry for the newbie questions

thanks

I see no reason why your existing computer won't recognize your Buddy. However, you certainly cannot run both simultaneously with one computer. I doubt you'll be able to have both CNC's connected to the same computer even if you're only using one of them at a time. In addition, the settings for those two machines will be different and there's no way I can see to switch between two configurations.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

You could setup each machine in the SB3 control software, and each time you switch machines you could load the setup profile for that machine.

If you hit "US" in SB3 that will export a "custom settings file"

if you hit "UR" that will import a custom settings file. So in theory you could setup one machine, export the file, setup the second machine and export the file. Then restore the settings for each machine when you're ready to use that machine.

I don't believe that deals with any custom scripts, so you might want to try this method:

https://www.shopbottools.com/ShopBot...UpSettings.pdf

That'll show you how to backup your entire SB folder...

If it were me, this seems a bit dicey. I'd get a second computer. I'd also consider NOT using a laptop, they're prone com issues on SBs.

You can buy a perfectly good controller computer for around $150 on eBay. I bought a "custom configured" machine to replace my failing desktop with a 128GB SSD, 8 gig of ram and Windows 7 for that much. The machine itself was half the size of the machine it replaced. Worked great. With all the potential for anguish a controller computer can dish out, I would suggest bypassing that turmoil and just get a separate machine.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool