Thread: any way to get a cleaner cut using an imported 3d model?

Default any way to get a cleaner cut using an imported 3d model?

whenever i use the 3d model imported and carved , then using the rough and fine toolpathing options in vcarve,i get chatters on the vertical surfcaces, this only happens when using 3d models. if i take the boundry vector and runa tool along it as a profile path its fine but then loses the dimension of the piece. any tips on how to get better results with 3d carving? thanks/

If you have a pic/screen shot of what you're attempting to cut along with the settings used for your toolpaths, that would be helpful. One possibility could be your finish tool stepover % is too high. Vertical walls can cause what you describe. Using a dished design will help. While it can't be done in VCP, adding a slight draft to the model will help greatly for vertical walls, as the tool will ramp up and over instead of stopping and lifting, but this has to be done in Aspire etc.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by srwtlc View Post
    If you have a pic/screen shot of what you're attempting to cut along with the settings used for your toolpaths, that would be helpful. One possibility could be your finish tool stepover % is too high. Vertical walls can cause what you describe. Using a dished design will help. While it can't be done in VCP, adding a slight draft to the model will help greatly for vertical walls, as the tool will ramp up and over instead of stopping and lifting, but this has to be done in Aspire etc.

i will get that uploaded thanks, i do add draft to the models too when making them, as well as fillets for rounded corners etc., but its actually cleaner i think to use a drafted bit while cutting. it causes less steps it seems and therefore less toolmarks.

Again, not knowing your settings and bits you are using when I started doing 3D models I ran into the same effects you are seeing.
    Smaller step over and small Dia. TBN cutters can eliminate most of what you are seeing. I’m using ~8% step over and 1/32 Dia. Bits on projects where I want lots of detail. Of course, there is a trade off, your cutting times will increase dramatically. All depends on what you are looking for.