Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Floor Recommendation

Default Shop Floor Recommendation

I am in the lucky situation to move my shop from the 2-car garage into the 1300sft walk-out basement of a house that we bought. The floor is right now the concrete slab and I want to make it easier to keep clean and nicer to look at. I am considering:
    - vinyl tiles or rolls
    - epoxy coating
    - coined rubber floor sheets (roll or tiles)
    - waterproof laminate

Is there a known good solution for wood shops?

Other question: I am wondering about an optimal layout for the CNC, table saw, band saw, miter saw, lathe, planer, drum sander, benches, grinder, welder, cabinets, material storage etc.
    Anybody knows sample layout pictures or recommendations, magazine articles, do/don'ts ? I don't want to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks, GB

Congratulations! I'd suggest industrial grade peel and stick vinyl floor tiles. They are inexpensive, replaceable (get an extra box), easy to install and feel better on the feet since they have a slight cushion. That's what I have in my shop and after seven years of abuse, they still look new, well almost all of them anyway.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I'd go epoxy. When rolling equipment around I've noticed the little wheels will get hung up on a piece of dust, scrap across the floor and dislodge tiling and lamanent. Epoxy is really easy to sweep clean too.

Your layout will depend on what you do. I do 95% cabinet jobs. My shop is optimized for material flow for cabinet production. My shop is about 2200 Sq. Ft. I do about 10-11 cabinet jobs a year plus other jobs in between cabinet jobs.

Material (plywood and solid wood) comes in a large rollup garage door and gets stacked. Hard wood is stacked on sawhorses and stickered so it acclimates to the shop. Plywood is stacked on edge under a ceiling winch that enables me to move plywood from staging to the CNC table without having to lift it myself. Cut plywood gets moved from the CNC to an outfeed table where it is moved to another location for part labeling and sorting. Parts to be edgebanded are moved to where the edgebander is located. My planer and sander are close to the CNC so I can be prepping stock while plywood is being cut on the CNC. I have my chopsaw near my planer and sander so I can cut larger boards into more manageable sizes if needed. Once all my construction is done (doors, drawer faces, etc.), part of my shop is converted to a spray booth where I do all my finishing. I have mobile drying racks to make more efficient use of floor space. Once finishing is done, the spray booth comes down and I start assembling cabinets. As they are assemble and ready to go, they are moved back to the large garage door ready to be loaded into the delivery truck. That's my layout. You need to figure out what works for the type of work you intend to do.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default Sounds nice..

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    I'd go epoxy. When rolling equipment around I've noticed the little wheels will get hung up on a piece of dust, scrap across the floor and dislodge tiling and lamanent. Epoxy is really easy to sweep clean too.

Your layout will depend on what you do. I do 95% cabinet jobs. My shop is optimized for material flow for cabinet production. My shop is about 2200 Sq. Ft. I do about 10-11 cabinet jobs a year plus other jobs in between cabinet jobs.

Material (plywood and solid wood) comes in a large rollup garage door and gets stacked. Hard wood is stacked on sawhorses and stickered so it acclimates to the shop. Plywood is stacked on edge under a ceiling winch that enables me to move plywood from staging to the CNC table without having to lift it myself. Cut plywood gets moved from the CNC to an outfeed table where it is moved to another location for part labeling and sorting. Parts to be edgebanded are moved to where the edgebander is located. My planer and sander are close to the CNC so I can be prepping stock while plywood is being cut on the CNC. I have my chopsaw near my planer and sander so I can cut larger boards into more manageable sizes if needed. Once all my construction is done (doors, drawer faces, etc.), part of my shop is converted to a spray booth where I do all my finishing. I have mobile drying racks to make more efficient use of floor space. Once finishing is done, the spray booth comes down and I start assembling cabinets. As they are assemble and ready to go, they are moved back to the large garage door ready to be loaded into the delivery truck. That's my layout. You need to figure out what works for the type of work you intend to do.
    Sounds nice, got any pics? Thanks Jerry

Here's an older one. It hasn't changed layout. Equipment has changed some though.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

What brand of epoxy did you use? I have a new garage I want to do with epoxy.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Default ventilation

I would suppose you would want the heating & ventilation system separate from the rest of the residence...

that might take some thought
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Also don't forget to Fully Seal the concrete walls!
    Dad's old daylight basement office was fine when he ran the wood pellet stove for years in basement, but at 85 he stopped the stove as the weight of bags was too much.
    Step-mom doesn't like guns, so Dad had 3 generations of them stored downstairs along with his woodworking and other tools...BIG mistake!
    In those 5 yrs, Everything not REALLY oiled developed a surface coat of rust that myself and two brothers are spending a LOT of time gradually removing

Dad's old CNC building was built by the company I was working for when injured, and was told it got 3 coats of an alcohol based sealant for moisture/dust, but forget what it was
    Brother just built an subtractive and additive engineering shop I'm due to visit soon....Clean Environment....I'll ask him how he sealed the shop floor, and ask what they spec'd in his and Dad's old shop floor.

Is DC and compressor going to be in a sound proofed separate room?
    Humidifier and dehumidifier planned for a stable workshop?

FUN planning
    Good luck G. !
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default nice shop

Quote Originally Posted by dlcw View Post
    Here's an older one. It hasn't changed layout. Equipment has changed some though.

Very Very nice shop.

If you have the head room, while thinking of ventilation you might consider a raised floor with dust collection coming from below, it can leave you with a much larger feeling shop.
    Last edited by evan; 01-21-2020 at 11:53 AM. Reason: grammer