Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: December-February cuts

Did a test cut on Black Walnut the same exact size of the soapstone blank.
    And then yesterday did an inscription on the back of post# 17 Bear that was a tricky cut on the fly for Mom.
    (UMO (University of Maine at Orono) used a Black Bear as a mascot/symbol when Mom was in school.
    (THAT cut was royal pain to jig because of the 3D on the bottom side/no parallel faces/and hard to guesstimate when I'd hit a big enough oval of sapwood)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Looking Good!

Thanks Evan!
    I was concerned about my exaggerating model height on that small bear from .26" to .4"....It Looked good in preview, but I was worried about how it would Feel in the hand.
    Felt good, and now I know it will require a .25mm TBN, AND a 30 degree engraving with .005" tip to get final details I want(bear's fur/eyes and the salmon's eyeball).
    Looks like the 4 coats of thinned shellac ALL over the spoilboard stabilized it to mild humidity changes helped a Lot!
    I waited till the next day to use the engraving bit, to simulate a multi day cut coming up....and it was Right on the money!
    Before I had to Tweak temporary Zeros sometimes on multi-day cuts(which was a pain...and I should have done that years ago!)
    scott P.
    Maine

VERY "Niche" info!
    Some of that 3-5"D Paper Birch I had cut down 2 yrs ago,
    simply got stacked against some storage racks for 2 yrs(one 4' (5"D)and one 8' (3.5-5"D) ) and left to hopefully spalt(or just get returned to the woods).

Unsealed on ends, as Paper Birch Bark is so oily, and Knew it was going to split anyways.
    Funny, Spalt occurred mainly in the center sections of the 8' smaller diameter trunk where moisture would have been trapped.
    (Should have expected that, as Paper Birch wood is WAY more perishable than the oily bark
    (best way to make a fire in a rainstorm is kicking punk out of fallen Paper Birch and filling hollow bark with resinous softwood twigs)
    (Also good for making a "Tube" for a "Smoker" if stuck in the Boonies)

Anyways...8 footer showed spalt around the perimeter mainly(hardly at all at a "wound" site)...going to be interesting
    VERY Niche info...but spalt streaks are graphic...Fast in warmer climes I imagine...and just plain pretty
    FAST spalt in a "Junk" wood that won't have to have much strength!!

Oops...Endgrain shot!
    Last edited by scottp55; 11-09-2020 at 09:08 AM.
    scott P.
    Maine

EASY to go through the spalt layer on my batch!
    scott P.
    Maine

Agreed to do a Christmas present for my RX delivery Lady's son....Unfortunately she picked a pen and ink sketch of a Lemur for Liam.
    NEVER did a Shallow cut for paint infill before
    Got a Lot of good tips on the Vectric forum;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36145
    The first two paint ones came out Great( I REALLY thought I was going to muck it up!)

Cutting a third one now with a .01" Start Depth like Michael Tyler recommended, so I can sand off all shellac without losing details.
    These are half sized(and so are engraving bit flats).
    scott P.
    Maine

Lucky Liam! Those look great. I'm kinda partial to the first, the lighter one, not that it matters, ;-)
    Hope your Holidays are warm and you and yours are safe.

Thanks Evan,
    NOW it matters....as she agreed with you on the lighter one
    That one was the .03" Flat Depth, and I painted in 5 small sections(wiping off with a Wet Viva paper towel as I went).
    There's more detail on paint and moisture on towels in that link as well as tips from others.

Doing half size test pieces(with half the flat size) Seemed like a good idea....THEN I said if there was a good one, I'd cut it out as an ornament for the tree.
    Naturally now trying to figure out a pleasing ornament shape...but like normal, Didn't leave much room on one side and too tight for a .25"R pointed round over
    I see some "Organic Sanding" in my future

Did do 1 more Lemur with a .01" Start Depth like mentioned, and a kitten playing with a butterfly for stepmom's ornament...with Kitten...I gave myself more room!

Luckily most of a large family is playing it safe because of 89yr old Mom, and 4 aunt's in their 80's, but Maine is finally starting to getting hit hard.
    Best wishes to you and yours and All the Shopbot Family!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Thank you Scott,

It's been trying times for sure! We've been playing it safe as well with a 92 , a 93 and a couple 80+ year olds not to mention the youngsters (all the way down to 7). Hopefully by this time next year we'll all be able to gather and celebrate around the table. Peace to you and yours and All the rest.
    emc2

Thanks Evan, and the same back at you and everyone!

Finally finished the big one, the base, and changed the 4 test cuts into kind of ornament...to be picked up today
    scott P.
    Maine