Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: December-February cuts

Default Help

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    A couple more, but Harley was dimensioned first,and was a test cut for a larger one so was playing with Brady's 3D VR settings Finally...
    Scott, were these carved with 1/16 bn bits and did you get them from Drillman1?? If possible could I get your E-mail address. Thanks JERRY

No Jerry,
    There was a thread about Tiny Tapered Ball Nose bits on Vectric Forum about 2 yrs(?) back, and Randall linked where he bought the inexpensive 1/8" shanks;
    https://www.ebay.com/c/2242300477#oid253004835589
    I was leery at first, but the Radius was perfect for my small stuff...after experimenting I bought 2 more sets(although I still use the originals sometimes)
    Only a .5" CEL on those, so I also ordered 1 .25" shank (1.2" CEL) to try out, and after trying now have 2 sets of the .25" shank 3" long ones;
    https://www.ebay.com/str/shangyoutoo...at=11014878015.

I did that small test Harley with the 1/8" shanks, but Mom's piece is larger, so I'll use the .25" shank ones.
    Hope that's what you were asking.
    My e-mail is under my Contact information....Be nice to hear from you
    scott
    OH....I'm waiting on 3 bits for Mom's carving.....but might be awhile as they're overdue.
    There ARE other suppliers on E-Bay with same/similar bits from US distributors, but I've got a friend who ordered .25mm TBNs from someone else, and had 2 broken tips...
    so I'll stay with Sy-Tools as they're the only brand I've used, and had excellent cuts...AND a couple stupid mistakes that punished them with no damage.
    Last edited by scottp55; 02-23-2020 at 02:24 PM.
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Shoot...missed the edit period.
    For TINY detailed carvings(like Old Man/Owl), and touch up/add detail like Owl on a Twig( and virtually all my tiny Font work)...
    Yes, Drillman1 started carrying the .25" shank Onsrud 30 degree Engraving bit with the .005" flat. My Go-To for a lot of fine details.
    scott P.
    Maine

Just finished this one at 2am....(23.5 hour day Getting to old for that!

Black Walnut branch from my Aunt's tree, and used 1mmTBN for Roughing to depth, .25mmTBN for finishing, and then ran an Onsrud 30 degree engraving with .005"tip for fine detail.
    Long rambling thread on Vectric Forum for details;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34042
    scott P.
    Maine

Scott,
    So, you're in the habit of leaving spare change laying around on your CNC machine ??

You can always send it off to me. LOL

Great work,
    Michael

Ha! Started that with buttons for something to scale for Dad...and just kept doing it for scale on Tinys.
    NOT worth your while though Michael....usually around 38 cents on computer shelf

DID remind me... once I was making a plaque for Dad and Joan's anniversary, and that darn Walnut board would NOT lay flat on the spoilboard...
    no matter How hard I hit it with the mallet!!
    Turned it over to do the back.....a dime had hidden from me at wheelchair height right next to X fence!!
    NOW I run my hands along fence before clamping something down
    It made a nice impression!

Thanks Michael!
    scott

OH.....Also it seems I have "Rules" on the Vectric Forum (I didn't think I had ANY)....."Rule #5" Says I HAVE to have a penny
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    Maine

Well...going to show as I go regardless of title
    March 2...inspected wood at dawn(KNEW I wanted to cut)...decided on top left Walnut branch in Paper Birch/Black Walnut pic.
    Not a highly detailed model, but chose wood to have a brown Bear....caught heartwood fairly good.
    Fun day, but jigging/drawing/and going from 1mmTBN to .25mmTBN to last minute 30 degree engraving with .005" flat...quit at 11:45pm...long day!
    scott P.
    Maine

Pretty amazing, I have never tried to do anything that small.

Thanks Brian
    Whatever you do, DON'T start on a wood as soft as Paper Birch!! (PITA but doable)
    Finished this Thursday night.
    They came from 3 trees encroaching on garage steel roof, so cut down a year ago November....I have lots of it, so was trying methods to carve clean I can use it.
    scott P.
    Maine

Reminds me of my Chinese cork art. Very nice work!