Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: December-February cuts

Funny you should mention that!
    When in my 20's had a bad motorcycle crash,and family dragged me along to Disney World on crutches..I gave up on rides and went to Epcot.
    DISTINCTLY remember the Chinese Pavilion, as I had to rest and get my knee elevated....
    The bench I sat on was right in front of a huge Chinese cork carving with the tiniest details I'd ever seen!!!
    Musta spent 2 hours looking at it!
    I think that's where my love for tiny details came from
    Must have impressed me to last 45 years!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I really like the racoon. with what is going on In the world today I hope that everyone stays safe and healthy. I have not posted anything in a while so I hope that you dont mind if hi-jack your thread to show one of my latest. I am just now starting to finish it. it goes out to a retiring k-9 officer in Houston.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep....that furry little bandit has a look on his face "Who Me? Would I touch your garbage can?"

Don't mind at all Rick....we all ought to post more of our work...Forum has been too quiet too long!

Beautiful piece Rick!! Always love your finishes!
    NICE to see a piece not totally completed!
    My thoughts go out to all the people and Vets who are medically compromised! Quads and Paras like me have to worry just a hair more, but really worried for 88yr old Mom and her generation
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Cowboy where is the penny.."what size is that" Looks really nice.

its 19.4 inches round with the officers name not showing

Default September

Finally got spoilboard repair done and registered...and shop was now cool enough to run DC
    (Summer was warmest on record, and 90+ days were 3 times normal...never mind the super muggy 89F days!)

And just couldn't resist cutting a new model I'll eventually cut in black soapstone I just bought that's 3.25X3.25X1.25".
    So grabbed a similar sized Black Walnut branch that had been surfaced and sealed years ago...
    Sized the model down to 2 inches tall(.14" model height) and cut it 2 days ago;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=35579

The Lady's head is about half a cooked grain of white rice, and it was sapwood just a hair softer than usual, But it gave me a good feel for the model for the soapstone.
    I want to cut it in wood larger also, so keeping an eye out for Maple chunk so that Lady is in a whiter area, and Dragon in darker area. Be nice if there was figure behind lady

Took it to the stationary belt sander yesterday for prelim shaping.....now it's all hand sanding and some knifework to blend it all in.
    scott P.
    Maine

Absolutely Beautiful! Exquisite detail! Looking forward to seeing it in the soap stone. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks Evan!
    I was inspired by Randall;
    https://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic....more+soapstone
    And when I opened the link in that thread, I saw a piece I liked and bought it.
    Was gifted 3 pieces of soapstone from a Penobscot Lady years ago that her sister sent her from Nova Scotia...and never carved.
    This piece I bought should give me the nerve to finally carve those pieces.

I collected Canadian pieces for a while, but only have a Walrus and Shaman head left after divorce
    I also have this Bear model which would better match my 2 pieces, and this bought piece of soapstone.
    Next wood carving might be the Bear to get a feel for it.
    Dragon Lady at that size doesn't show full detail...might be better on my larger/flatter gifted piece.

Thanks again for the comment!
    Made my morning
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

The bear is very indicative of the north west, captures it wonderfully, I'm sure you will do it justice, even though you're on the other coast ;-) I've done very little carving on the Shop Bot but the few times I have it was always very satisfying. Your art is inspiring.

Yep, but I got a taste of Pacific Northwest when I hitched the Trans-Can in "75 and wound up on Victoria,BC after a 10day single ride with Canadian family(4,000 miles in one hitch
    Spent 2 months there, and shops carried soapstone carvings and met a carving grandson of a carver....THAT was an interesting week and got me hooked
    I think it Will be the Bear fishing....I toolpathed it yesterday...and at the soapstone size....It only uses half the material(which I can cut off with diamond trim saw) and do something else

DO have to do a "Harley Filling Station" twice the size of the one above for Mom's 89'th birthday beforehand....only 1 month away, and it's a long carve!
    TWO mornings with a smile on my face Evan!
    Thanks for calling it art! I TRY!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine