Thread: Shopbot Desktop 24X18

Default Shopbot Desktop 24X18

Shopbot Desktop 24X18

Have it the way you want it.

At present the machine is running on Centroid motor drivers and software. It is much more reliable and accurate than with the Shopbot electronics.

But I have saved the original Shopbot Electronics. It only takes a few hours to convert the machine back to it’s original configuration.

So I will sell it either way!

The machine is in Titusville Florida just off of the 220 exit from I-95. Come see it and I will be glad to demo it for you.

$4,900 for the machine and the enclosure with your choice of electronics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just curious how you did this... Did you hack the ShopBot DB387 connector to plug the Acorn into? (using the stock ShopBot drivers?)

Really simple and easy. The Shopbot came with three boards that plug in to one another to do the work. Motor drivers are screwed to the back piece of aluminum channel. That all removes as one unit leaving only the wires connecting the steppers and the wires for the limit switches. The Leadshine MX-3660 has terminals for the power supply, the motors and the limit switches. The contactor for the router/spindle is not needed, since the Centroid has a relay that controls the spindle. (Fact is the Centroid would control the spindle speed, which was done manually as delivered.)

You and I took a different approach. On the Handibot I hacked the Db37 connector to install GRBL:

https://youtu.be/Zx5CQKomNEk (I also did this for a Centroid controller as a test)

On the Desktop that I had for a while I did the same thing but with a Centroid:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4xscWSbpNyhQAyAM8

I did this by hacking the DB37 connector and the 16 pin connector. I was able to use all of the limit switches, axes, and even the spindle contactor on the Desktop without cutting or removing a single wire. I could swap back and forth in less than 5 minutes with just two plugs.

On both of these machines I tested out Centroid, GRBL and a G2 Core controller on a Due. They all worked really well.

It was a fun little project to prove that if you wanted you could swap a control system on a SB fairly easily.

bump to the top

still for sale

Is it still available?

Default still avalable

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Is it still available?
    The machine is still available.
    tom@lempicke.com

Default Shopbot Desktop for sale

Quote Originally Posted by tlempicke View Post
    The machine is still available.
    tom@lempicke.com