Thread: 3.6.44 to 3.8.50 and back

Default 3.6.44 to 3.8.50 and back

So after 8 years of moderate use my PRSalpha 9648 is developing issues. Recently had to change the y motor/driver, now looks like the x's need to be replaced as well.

This past week had the reported problem of "emergency stops" faulting for no reason. This led to a new board being overnighted yesterday, which fixed the issue.

While diagnosing the issue support had me update the control software to latest version 3.8.50. This has created all sorts of issues and it was recommended that I revert back to what I had previously been using, 3.6.44.

Doing so has not fixed the following issues and weekend support has not been able to advise on the following..

1- When jog.. Z doesn't revert to preassigned z safe hieght. Which I have set to 1". It travels at whatever hieght it last stopped.

2- I have the bit zeroed to spoilboard surface as well as drill. Bit is set to z safe hieght of 1". When airdrill is zeroed to same surface, the z safe hieght reverts to .5"??

When running a ecab file- bit/drill starts cutting/drilling below the spoilboard surface. It thinks the spoilboard is the material to be cut. Its almost like I need to zero to the top of the sheet material, but that's not how it should work.

4- Parts to be drilled are offset of Y,0 by about 1-1.5". Its like the drill offset from the bit at 0,0. Using "make it easy on me" in shopbot setup those are (x -1.681 & y -1.146)

5- I can turn spindle on/off from keypad. However spindle does not turn on in either ecab or partsworks file.

If anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate some guidance.

Thanks,

John
    Last edited by john_hartman; 03-08-2020 at 12:17 PM. Reason: clarification

Disregard #4. I completely forgot to calculate offsets between bit and drill. thx

Interesting John. Since I updated to 3.8.50, because I added an ATC, I've found it to be much less stable then 3.6.44. I run eCab files ALLOT. You ALWAYS have to run C3 before you do ANYTHING or the machine loses it's position and when it tries to do a tool change, let's just say it's not a pleasant experience as bit holders fall on the floor (destroying a bit) and other not so nice things. I hope they get 3.8 stabilized like 3.6 was. It would make it much less painful for us out here in the field trying to make a living with these machines.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default the fix

Here is the fix to the MTC file to allow zeroing to the spoilboard.. will allow the bit to start cutting to the top of the 3/4" material instead of the spoilboard. It works. Tech support doesn't know this. Lucky found it posted here back in 2011.

For the spindle not turning on before a partwork or link file. On a new board they ship these with the router/spindle "jumper" placed to the "router" pins on the circuit board. Simply pull the jumper off and reinsert over the "spindle pins.
    Attached Images Attached Images