Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust shoe pattern

Default Dust shoe pattern

Does anyone have a file to cut a dust shoe that will fit a PRT machine?

Here's the files to 3D print the transition piece.

Guys is this the best option for a PRT with a Spindle? My original one that came with my SB is starting to break.

I cut a lot of plywood and I noticed that a lot of **** gets hung up at the choke point having flex tube running all the way to the spindle.

Thinking of giving this 3d printed one a shot.

Is Kent the best option? I'm open to making my own or buying one. Really don't have a preference.
    Nate Sirek

Operations Manager;
    Shop Fabrication Manager
    House Partners Inc.
    West Saint Paul, MN

Shopbot 48 x 96 PRT Alpha
    220v 18000 RPM HSD Spindle
    4 Zone Vacuum Table, 7hp Spencer Re-Gen Blower
    Cabinet Parts Pro

10 Years Experience in a cabinet and counter top fabrication shop. CNC Newbie.

While that 3D printed one looks good, I've yet to get a reasonable price to print it. I agree with you about the choke point of the original design, but not sure there's a way around that without compromising bit cut depth, and IMHO still better than a 90 degree corner like the Kent shoe.

The rigid clear part of my old shoe was pretty rough when I bought my used machine years ago, but with some plastic weld epoxy & some mods to accept a nylon door sweep with its aluminum channel, it works pretty good now.
    shoe.jpg

I can print one for you. I have a bunch of PETG material here which should be fine for this as long as you don't care about color. Just let me know which file you want to print. Paypal me the shipping and I can shoot it your way.
    Erik

Is Kent the best option?..
    An emphatic YES from my experience. Dumped the original within the first year, running close to 9 years with the kent, and have no intent of going back to original.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by erik_f View Post
    I can print one for you. I have a bunch of PETG material here which should be fine for this as long as you don't care about color. Just let me know which file you want to print. Paypal me the shipping and I can shoot it your way.
    Erik
    Thank you for the generous offer Erik. If you've seen the photo I posted of my existing shoe you can tell that function rules & form is totally optional, so I wouldn't be picky about color. Based on Jeff's reply I revisited the Kent shoe design & think it's time I got around to building one of my own for the PRT. So I'm going to hold off on 3D printing one of these for now.
    Cheers, Daren

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    An emphatic YES from my experience. Dumped the original within the first year, running close to 9 years with the kent, and have no intent of going back to original. Jeff
    That's great to hear Jeff, I really like his design but had to revisit his site to remember why I couldn't use it. Unless I'm mistaken they only fit the PRS, not the PRT series I have.
    Daren

I never used the SB included dust shoe. I took one look at it and decided there had to be a better mousetrap. The Kent dust shoe is it. I've been using it since 2013 with no issues. The only thing I might do different if I were Kent is add an LED light, or several, under the hood so it would be easier to see the work in progress. I think about that occasionally when I use a flashlight to peer in there, but by the time the run is complete, I've forgotten about it. Obviously, not that important.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I used a Kent dust shoe on a 2001 PRT with porter cable router for many years. Purchased the shoe before the PRS came out. If I remember correctly I had to move the router all the way back in the y-car in order to make room for the 4" hose.