Thread: Mass production with the lathe attachment

Default Mass production with the lathe attachment

I made this lathe not long after I got my bot I had a job to make chairs that had turned legs for a church my first real big job using the shopbot back in 2004.

It does not get used very often but it comes in handy for the occasional job.

I had to make 85 spindles for a 1908 house that is being restored the wood I used was eastern hemlock purchesed from the local sawmill and then dried in my kiln. Hemlock has great rot resistance but it tends to chip I found slowing the lathe to 200 rpm helped a lot normal speed on hardwoods has been 400.

The cutter was a 6mm solid carbide ballnose. The final details and sanding was done on the manual lathe.

Very cool! I have been thinking for some time of a similar setup on my bot. How long does it take to do each spindle?
    T Fix
    2000 ShopBot PRT 96 CNC Tool

Quote Originally Posted by cwshop View Post
    Very cool! I have been thinking for some time of a similar setup on my bot. How long does it take to do each spindle?
    They took 19 minutes each I had to slow it down a lot for hemlock .3 ips .07 stepdown faster than that and I was getting a lot of chipout on the beading

I turned sugar maple legs a while ago and had good results with 1 ips at ,1 stepdown using the 6mm ballnose at 400rpm

Thanks for the reply. I noticed in the latter you didn't use the speed reduction. How did that factor in? You have give me the courage to give this a try. I may ask you something again in future. Keep turning!
    T Fix
    2000 ShopBot PRT 96 CNC Tool

cwshop, When I originally made it it was from parts I had laying around, the pulleys and motor ended up running it around 400 rpm that worked fine for the hardwoods I had been using it for. I was getting a lot of chipout with the hemlock so I slowed it down and it went away. Trial and error got me to where I am at. Half the fun is figuring things out.

What does the design file look like. Are you basically machining in a straight line? Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Russ, yes it runs in x and z I drop the y stepper so the gear is not on the rack and clamp the carriage.

I made a video

https://vimeo.com/318999193