Thread: Centroid acorn. Tried it. Had to re-connect V4 Gecko 202 control setup. A1A7.2SG

Hybrid View

Default Centroid acorn. Tried it. Had to re-connect V4 Gecko 202 control setup. A1A7.2SG

v4 board with 202 geckos are tenth microstepping.

PK296A1A7.2SG motors

Everything runs perfect.

Wanted the centroid to work out but couldn't get it stop skipping steps.

Anyone run into this?

Curious to know how it was rectified.
    cnc solid | division of initial sound, llc

cncsolid.com
    http://www.cncsolid.com
    initialsound.com
    http://www.initialsound.com

I am haveing a little problem with the Centroid losing the macros. when I use the X0 Y0 macro it doesn't do anything also the offset that I had when I use the homing doesn't go back to my offsets. It just started doing this

I'm guessing that both of you may have some configuration issues. This isn't a Centroid forum, so help will be very limited if any. I suggest you head on over to the Centroid forum and ask your questions there. Be sure to create and include a fresh report from CNC12 in your post. Much more information is needed to help you and please read this first.

Not sure about the skipping steps problem... software and/or driver config/amp settings, weak motors, etc. I would think that the motors/drivers pulse/step should work the same with either controller once configured.

Macros can't get lost unless you do an update without a restored report and have no back up to restore them from. Macros (assigned to a VCP button) won't run while in MDI, you must be at the main screen. Only use MDI when you want to manually run some command and once done, ESC back to the main screen. Machine must be reset and homed after a power cycle before it will respond to any macro. Table offset after homing has to be set in your homing macro. All other WCS offsets are stored/saved from that point. Tough to say what the problem is without knowing how things are setup and what you expect from your new work flow as oppose to what you've been used to for many years.

Been running the Centroid/Acorn system for over a year now and haven't had one single issue (other than self imposed ones). Controller efficiency has saved gobs of cut time as well as not one comm error over that time.
    Scott

Coming soon delta motors/gearboxes on centroid.

PRT is running solid with OE stepper 7.2 gearbox, Shopbot ver4g Gecko 202 @ 2.0A

The Shopbot is smooth, I like all my custom user settings, ramp-rates etc...

The centroid is easy to use, G code, and no usb.
    With the new workflow coming I’m seeing all kinds of possibilities.

It makes me feel good knowing I’ll have a solid Shopbot Control and motor set for backup.

Thanks for the comments.

Go Shopbot
    Go Centroid
    cnc solid | division of initial sound, llc

cncsolid.com
    http://www.cncsolid.com
    initialsound.com
    http://www.initialsound.com

I like all my custom user settings, ramp-rates etc...
    Centroid has superior "user setting/ramping" in the "Smoothing" settings screen. I have pp's customized for auto switching between standard precision router, v-carving, 3D relief fine detail, and back to precision router when finished (so I don't forget to manually switch it back).

Good reads for smoothing...

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid...ers_manual.pdf
    https://centroidcncforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=3021
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Initial Sound, LLC View Post
    v4 board with 202 geckos are tenth microstepping.

PK296A1A7.2SG motors

Everything runs perfect.

Wanted the centroid to work out but couldn't get it stop skipping steps.

Anyone run into this?

Curious to know how it was rectified.
    I have my steppers dropped right now. I just got back into the shop today and I am having a problem when I run run spoil board surfacing program in steppers will run fine then all of a sudden one will just sit there and vibrate like it doesn't know which way to go. mostly it is my X2 stepper but sometimes it will be the X1.

Here's something else to consider. Quoted from Cnckeith from Centroid.

Centroid smoothing feature PRE-processes g-code and uses the CNC CPU to do the smoothing calculations ahead of the cutting action. Essentially it takes all the short vector g code geometry that is outputted by the CAD cam system and puts arcs through it all, these geometrical calculations are done on the fly and the new positional information that was calculated to smooth out the jerky g code is sent by the CNC PC down to the acorn mpu to execute as the machine works so when using smoothing it's important to have a decent single thread benchmark CPU in the CNC PC.

You can look up your CPU single thread benchmark here. Also, Windows 10 only! WinXP/7 need not apply.
    Scott

I have to send it back to Gary so he can change out some stuff

I ended up sending it back to Gary for a refund as it would not run and the only way was to spend more money on new steppers even though it was supposed to be plug and play. I guess it is plug and play if you basically buy a complete new system. That was one expensive mistake. Boy those fanboys over at centroid are worse then Festool fans They can't take it when something won't work and tell you it's your fault that you didn't do it right. Even Gary give me an answer to a simple question. Why will the steppers run so smooth and quite when I use thw arrow keys and G commands but will not run with a simple file made in Aspire.
    Last edited by jerry_stanek; 06-08-2020 at 07:09 PM.

I would like to take issue with Jerry Stanek' and his "professional victim" postings. This was a well made inexpensive product, (Acorn Basic model) a product that costs much less than what he could have purchased from the OEM mfgr. And it performed flawlessly, lowering his noise, increasing his speeds beyond what the OEM recommends with those motors. And he bragged about it here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Centroid-Acorn

Then apparently he tripped over the cord and it all went away..... and since then has been whining like a child.

Jerry Stanek.... THIS WAS YOUR FAULT You jerked on the cord. You were allowed to return the controller for a refund. Get over it and shut up, this whining a couple months after you received a refund makes you look like a fool.

This the response that was posted on some other forums. Not very professional to assume something that never happened. I was happy with the way the controller worked using the arrow and G command inputs but it never did run a file correctly always started to stutter. I even sent it back for that problem and Gary never checked it out just added a breakout board and called it good. I did get some of my money back but it was a big hit for me as I am retired and still had to spend some to repair my old 4G board.