Thread: Paint Hardness and V carve Quality - latex paint not cutting well

Default Paint Hardness and V carve Quality - latex paint not cutting well

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody has experienced latex paint not cutting on edges of a v carve? I attached a picture. The black latex paint I use cuts super clean but the blue for some reason just leaves bits behind. It made me thing that the black has a different latex base that is harder and maybe cuts or adheres better. It consistently happens on the blue.

I am using Amana insert V carve bits 60 deg at 40ipm 18000rpm. I have tried second passes, clear coating, as well as CMT laser point bit with no luck. I was thinking maybe I should change my paint to oil based or some other sign paint people might recommend?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

CoryB0B0BE9D-C33A-4BD4-9B91-2EDA7147AA10.jpg

Depends on what you're using it for. Those look like trail markers: how do you intend to fill the reliefs? Primed properly any paint should "rout" as easily as the next. I'm not a fan of latex for sign work although I know lots of people use it, mostly on HDU. I'm of the school of using enamels and anymore 2 part urethanes. How did you prep that piece and what is it made from? Those answers can guide us better with a response.

Latex can take up to 30 days to fully cure. Perhaps the blue was fresher?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Thanks for the responses,

The signs are decorative mountain bike trail markers for indoor use (mudrooms etc.). People are crazy about there favorite trails! I have been leaving them natural wood so no painting of the lettering. I will see what I can find at the paint store for enamels. It looks like there are water based enamels as well. Maybe less smell.

Good to know it has a curing time, I didn't know that. In this specific case the blue had more time to cure than the black.

I think I might just have to try different paints until something works! Anything to avoid using a toothbrush to clean them after cutting.

Cory

Default Paint

Quote Originally Posted by chein View Post
    Thanks for the responses,

The signs are decorative mountain bike trail markers for indoor use (mudrooms etc.). People are crazy about there favorite trails! I have been leaving them natural wood so no painting of the lettering. I will see what I can find at the paint store for enamels. It looks like there are water based enamels as well. Maybe less smell.

Good to know it has a curing time, I didn't know that. In this specific case the blue had more time to cure than the black.

I think I might just have to try different paints until something works! Anything to avoid using a toothbrush to clean them after cutting.

Cory
    Try One Shot sign paint ,the best, I think Amazon has it. JERRY

I found the one shot online. Thanks. I also found a paint with Benjamin Moore that is a waterborne oil paint that I am going to try. Low VOC.

Thanks,

Cory

I'm kind of old school when it comes to paint. I use lacquer whenever I can. It's certainly not low VOC but it dries in minutes, can be recoated without sanding and produces a beautiful finish regardless of the humidity.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I'm with Cory and the lacquers are your friend.
    "Once a person moves away from the computer and CNC some of the most important work begins." ~Joe Crumley