Thread: I’m looking for some advice…

Default I’m looking for some advice…

I have several large “character” pecan crotch pieces. They exhibit beautiful spalting, splits, included bark, feather grain, bug and worm tracks. All desirable characteristics for a rustic look!
    I have a customer who would like one of these crotch pieces made into a table… the type where the irregular shape of the crotch is filled in with resin to make a traditional rectangular table.

I have several concerns…

• Because many of the features of these pieces also make them questionable structurally, does the resin rely on the wood for support or is it the other way around?
    • Will 2” thick resin creep, flow or sag over the next several decades?
    • What kind of support will a 4’ X 4’ single pedestal table need?
    • The air-dried wood has stabilized to the Dallas Texas EMC of about 12%. Its new home would be in a northern Montana “cabin”.

Some craftsmen claim that the “fully encapsulated wood” is very stable and won’t shrink or swell, but some forest service bulletins seem to suggest otherwise, saying that an ideal environment has been created for certain types of fungus and bugs. Other reading says that “fully encapsulated” is a myth… that you can slow down moisture movement but not stop it.
    Does anyone here have real-life experience with this?

Thanks!

SG

something like this...

From this

or this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    I have several large “character” pecan crotch pieces. They exhibit beautiful spalting, splits, included bark, feather grain, bug and worm tracks. All desirable characteristics for a rustic look!
    I have a customer who would like one of these crotch pieces made into a table… the type where the irregular shape of the crotch is filled in with resin to make a traditional rectangular table.

I have several concerns…

• Because many of the features of these pieces also make them questionable structurally, does the resin rely on the wood for support or is it the other way around?
    • Will 2” thick resin creep, flow or sag over the next several decades?
    • What kind of support will a 4’ X 4’ single pedestal table need?
    • The air-dried wood has stabilized to the Dallas Texas EMC of about 12%. Its new home would be in a northern Montana “cabin”.

Some craftsmen claim that the “fully encapsulated wood” is very stable and won’t shrink or swell, but some forest service bulletins seem to suggest otherwise, saying that an ideal environment has been created for certain types of fungus and bugs. Other reading says that “fully encapsulated” is a myth… that you can slow down moisture movement but not stop it.
    Does anyone here have real-life experience with this?

Thanks!

SG

something like this...

From this

or this...
    They are beautiful use them. Jerry

I have done a lot of live edge with epoxy fill for defects in the wood at 12 percent the wood may dry further the epoxy will show higher in the finish I kiln dry my stuff to 8 percent.

I have not Poured a mold like pictured, though if I did and the fill is opaque I would set reinforcement rods in the wood for the resin to encapsulate.

Jerry,

I belong to several Facebook groups on this subject, you might check them out as they have quite a bit of experience in this area. Epoxy Resin River Tables, Countertops & more (https://www.facebook.com/groups/9777...f=group_browse) and The Epoxy Exchange (https://www.facebook.com/groups/665462023849953/)

Joe
    2005 PRT Alpha 48x96
    2013 Colombo 3hp spindle
    Indexer (converted lathe)
    Aspire 9.0

Thanks guys!

Brian, the reinforcement rods are a fantastic idea! Since the intended epoxy fill will be opaque black, they can only help!

Joe, thanks for the Facebook groups links! I know my answers are in there, but it may take a while to sus them out!

The many rainbow hued projects others have posted on the Facebook groups, remind me of the 70’s and hippy tie dye tee shirts!

SG