Thread: Recomendations wanted

Default Recomendations wanted

Looking to purchase a spindle for my PRT. Does anyone have a recommendation on brand or price & mounting info?

A PRT is an older (pre-2007?) model, right? I presume you're looking to do this upgrade on a budget, right? If that's the case, I recommend you look into a Huanyang water-cooled spindle kit with its matched VFD available on Amazon. These are far cheaper than an air-cooled spindle off ShopBot's website and are quieter than an air-cooled router (and the air-cooled spindles I've seen).

I bought that kit and am converting my 2007 PRSstandard with Porter Cable router to it right now, which I expect to have up and running within a few days.

You run everything from the panel on the front of the VFD Inverter. No need to wire anything into the ShopBot control box if you can't or don't want to. Just like a router, you simply plug it in (to single- or 3-phase 220) and push the run button. Let it warm up for 10 minutes and you're ready to start cutting. You do have to program the VFD, but if you can use a smart phone or your TV's remote control you can program the VFD. Conveniently, you have only to do it once, and it's very straight forward. You also have to be able to solder a small plug and do some very basic wiring, which is no big deal.

Hello,
    Thanks for the reply. I will look into that brand. It sounds pretty straight forward. Please let me know how you make out. I have a Milwaukee 3.5 hp router that was on my cnc when purchased and they sell for around $300.00 I was looking for a spare and thought for that price maybe I should upgrade. best of luck with yours.

if and when you change over to the water cooled spindle, be careful and keep telling your self to check to see if the spindle is running, before reaching in to change the bit. you will be amazed how quiet it will be.

also get one like this to make a closed cooling system