Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zeroing Bits

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Default Zeroing Bits

I have a Shopbot ATC and am getting quite tired of putting the ground on the bits and then applying the zero plate to tell the program where the surface is prior to cutting. Most all the newer CNC's have an automatic way of zeroing the bits prior to cutting. Is there a way that ShopBot has eliminated this procedure and made it less cumbersome. The bit is not grounded on my HSD spindle which makes it harder to do automatically. Any help is appreciated.

Shopbot sells a pressure touch plate that you could mount and not have to attach the ground to your bit

, Friday Harbor, San Juan Islands Washington

Jerry Ill call them and see what they have. Thanks!

I messaged them yesterday asking for a quote on the Z-zero pad. Hopefully I'll hear from them today.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Ordered a fixed plate for my ATC and a non fixed one to replace my aluminum zero plate. The big spindle with the ATC uses ceramic bearings so the bit is isolated from ground. Thus the need for the alligator clip on the bit to z-zero. Hopefully i can get rid of the ground clip with the pressure plate.
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

Can this be used on all models or just ones with the ATC?
    Matt Raymond
    Custom Woodcraft, Inc.
    Little Elm, TX

Matt...doesn't need to be ATC.
    I seem to remember seeing someone with a Desktop sticking it in an area not used, and they even modified their Z-Zero routine with that location.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Wait... On an an SB ATC don't you zero each bit in the holder once to the fixed plate on the rack so all of the tool heights are stored in the SB software. Then when you start a job you either zero with any tool to the top of the material, or the table and the zero height is added (or subtracted) from each tool as it's called in a job?

As far as I know you shouldn't have to zero each tool as it's picked... Then again I'm only reading the docs, I've never owned an SB ATC, but I have used a few...

Eric, you need to zero all the bits to the plate, then anytime you change a bit, you need to zero that new bit to the fixed plate. I have a 10 tool ATC and I change bits regularly depending on the type of job I'm doing. I have extra bit holders to facilitate this bit changing. When I do change, I have to rezero all the bits to the fixed plate. Each bit requires attaching the ground clip to the bit. With the pressure switch, this step is eliminated. This should make zeroing all the bits much faster.
    Don
    www.dlwoodworks.com