Thread: PPE Face Shield

Default PPE Face Shield

Hi all! I've been watching the people who are 3D printing the PPE face shields for doctors and nurses. The 3D printed face shields do work, and the cost to make them is pretty low. It's not scalable however, and they're pretty much one time use because you cannot effectively sterilize 3D prints.

I took it upon my self to design my own face shield:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3e...fe388898bb902b

2020-05-17 at 7.29 PM.jpg

I cut a lot of 1/2" HDPE so naturally I have a lot of it around. I used that for the headband, and I used .060 polycarbonate for the shield. The shield snaps into the headband.

The forehead pad can be EPDM rubber door seal, or you can use the slot to put a napkin in there. When it gets dirty you can pop the face shield off, remove the forehead pad and wash everything and re-assemble.

The idea here is a must more sustainable (IE reusable) shield.

The elastic can be rubber bands, hair ties, or this stuff: https://www.mcmaster.com/8858T21-8858T23

There's a tab in this drawing that has "exportable" layouts. You can right click, select export and get a DXF that you can pull right into VCarve/Aspire and easily create toolpaths.

If anyone can do some good with this design please do. I'm releasing it non commercial, but feel free to get compensated for your material cost.

Let me know if you have any questions.

** Click the Onshape link to really see the 3D model, diagram and pictures. For some reason this forum is really killing uploaded images lately. You do not need an Onshape account to see, and export the files.

It's very much worth mentioning too that there isn't just this design out there, check this one out: https://caringlikenicholas.org/faces...WOU7E21k4znJ9g

This one uses clear binder dividers and is cut with 1/4" HDPE. A good choice if you want a lower cost option. Or perhaps this is more fitting to material that you have around.

Nice job on your design Eric, and hats off to you for being a 'contributor' during these strange & scary times we're in. I like your thought process behind cleaning & re-using the headband with simple replaceable parts. I really had to laugh when I saw the guy who uses clear binder dividers. Proof, that it pays to look at things through as many people's eyes as possible.

Last week I was asked to cut 50 shields out of 0.03" clear polysomethingorother, but the parts were nested so tightly that I could only use a max 3/32" dia bit, and after a couple of hours of test cuts I couldn't get the parts to stay in place on my vacuum table without a downspiral bit (which I couldn't find locally in that size) & still have a clean edge. In the end it was a job I had to pass on, but my client said he knew someone with a drag knife who could cut them.
    Daren

It's very good design I think !! I am using the face shields of HY Supplies inc along with face masks !! https://www.hysupplies.net/protectiv...stry-wholesale

Thanks! Those are a good design too, definitely cheaper and easier to make than these ones.

The way I designed these was to be really heavy duty, and to allow people to break them down, clean them and re-assemble them. I figure after this is all over I'll definitely have some good shields around to protect my face when I'm grinding things or using the chainsaw!

Thanks! Those are a good design too, definitely cheaper and easier to make than these ones.

The way I designed these was to be really heavy duty, and to allow people to break them down, clean them and re-assemble them. I figure after this is all over I'll definitely have some good shields around to protect my face when I'm grinding things or using the chainsaw!