Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collet

Hi Scott
    Thanks for the info about banding, That leads me to believe that my collet nut was also damaged, I noticed on the second issue I wrote about that my 1/4' collet also showed some as well as my 1/8". Ordered new nut and collets this morning
    Bill
    PRS Alpha 48" x 96"
    Artcam/ Carveco
    Vetric Aspire

Glad it helped Bill...it's just a good indication of wear and slippage....the bit may be toast also(usually is?)
    You'd also be amazed at the "Gunk" on spindle cone until you clean it well!
    Some have bought spindle cone cleaners with exact shape and felt....I just use a quality paper towel and acetone or denatured weekly(sometimes Q-tips).
    And then a light touch of Bladecote or similar product for surface protection....3.5 mile from Atlantic here...so Something is needed!

Bit should NOT get hot ever if feeds/speeds are correct....I can run 12 hours and bit is always room temp once "Sweet Spot" is found.
    If you ever get "Bluing" oxidation, the carbide edge is pretty well gone.....any time bit or collet has galling or a rough spot...usually time to toss it.
    I got 400-600 hours on collets when production.....and about 3X that on collet nut...but things like drilling with collet nut can ruin it in 10 seconds
    They ARE expendable parts after all!
    Spindle cone is the most important to me...once that's gone...all bets are off on Everything
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Hi Scott
    You mention spindle cone, are you referring to the threaded end of the spindle I know the collets are cone or tapered. I am surrounded by the ocean here will look into bladecoat.
    Bill
    PRS Alpha 48" x 96"
    Artcam/ Carveco
    Vetric Aspire

Yes Bill,
    The tapered inside on the spindle where the collet seats.....Very important to keep clean!! $$$
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine