Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Lights Control?

Default LED Lights Control?

Good Morning,

I'm wondering how one would set up*LEDs to indicate the status of the Shopbot?* I would like to set up*some type of LED Andon Stack Light on production machines.* Has anyone already tried this?* I know that I can turn on/off the LEDs via the relay board, but how do I determine the different modes of operation. For example, Red = Stopped, Green = Running, Yellow = operating but stopped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Normally this is a built in feature of the controller. Red = Alarm or prior to homing, Yellow = Idle, Green = executing (running) commands

You will have to use a relay board and place the appropriate commands in the your macros (C# files) to toggle the lights as desired.

Here is one on my ATC-40 tool bridge mill

Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Campbell
    GCnC Control
    GCnC411(at)gmail(dot)com
    Servo Controller Upgrades
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

"We can not solve our problems with the same level of thinking that created them"
    Albert Einstein

As another option, the HandiBot uses a system with lights that are programmable based on the state of output switches to change color and flash different patterns. It uses a small Arduino microcontroller and individually-addressable leds for custom lighting colors and patterns. It gets the status signal by tapping into the output switch signal in the ribbon cable that connects the control card to the board.

We currently have new prototype accessory boards being produced that will make it easier to do the same on our other tools, using the existing ribbon cable connection. The estimate is that the boards are currently a couple of weeks out and then have to go to testing, but they will allow you to do things like put an led strip on the underside your gantry that will change color and behavior based on the status of the tool. In addition to strips the addressable LEDs are available in a lot of different formats..rings, grids, individual lights...so it will be a pretty customizable solution.

Bill, no disrespect here but SB has always been on the verge of releasing a new this or that and it just never comes to be. How about something other than vaporware?
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

John,

It's certainly hard to argue with that and we do try not to talk about things too much until they are a done deal. We're always working on new things though, and the majority of them either don't pan out or take way longer than we want.

This one however has been used on the Handibot since it started as a Kickstarter project. The Arduino code is on Github and could be setup by anyone that wants to DIY it...some already have. Even if you didn't want to use an arduino and the individually addressable leds, reading the code tells you how it works and what output switches control which behavior

https://github.com/wlyoung/Adafruit_NeoPixel

The new board will just make it easier to get set up without having to solder and program and make connections. While there's no guarantee that the new board will work correctly in this first batch, we're guardedly optimistic :^)

John,

Any update on the new board?

Rich

As with most things, what should be simple never is. The first batch of board arrived with the wrong connector and we're waiting for the corrected batch. Covid 19 issues certainly don't help in getting things done quickly these day!

As an FYI, here's the version we use on the Handibot. The micro controller is under the shrinkwrap and it's a bear to solder all those tiny ribbon cable wires to make the connections! The new board cleans it all up and lets the controller and ribbon cable plug in. It will be easier to us build and will let you use a ribbon cable that fits your control box.

Attachment 34063

Bill,

Any updates on the board?

Thanks

Rich

I will check on progress and report back.

Bill

Bill,

Any update?

Thanks,

Rich