Thread: what I've been up to...

Default what I've been up to...

In the interest of keeping active in this forum, I’m posting some projects that weren’t particularly novel or groundbreaking!

I’ve used homemade cam clamps almost as long as I’ve had my machine… this version uses my collet wrench as the handle. My first ones were just eccentric disks, the slot in this version acts as spring pressure and never vibrates loose!

I needed a 9” square to 6” round transition for a friends dust collector… through YouTube and online tutorials, I taught myself a new trick!

Wasted space bugs me… I made this toe kick drawer… I’m pleased with the result!

too many pictures... continued in next post

Attached Images Attached Images

I recently had two back procedures followed by a mild heart attack… my wife doesn’t like it when I spill my coke can while trying to balance it on the bed, a place I’ve had to spend too much time lately! This little project may save my life!

I thought I was retired… I seem to be cutting endless amounts of HDPE for two customers whose businesses have flourished due to covid…

That’s what I’ve been up to…
    SG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice! I like the can holder idea. That's pretty cool. Thanks for showing. I'd show projects but all I do anymore is cabinets. And once you've seen a cabinet, seeing more is not very exciting. about all I could do is show my ATC system in action or my button bar I got or my pressure pad Z-zero plates.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

Default I like your cam clamp

I like your cam clamp, I'll be copying it. I don't understand the square to round transition for the dust collector.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_g View Post
    In the interest of keeping active in this forum, I’m posting some projects that weren’t particularly novel or groundbreaking!

I’ve used homemade cam clamps almost as long as I’ve had my machine… this version uses my collet wrench as the handle. My first ones were just eccentric disks, the slot in this version acts as spring pressure and never vibrates loose!

I needed a 9” square to 6” round transition for a friends dust collector… through YouTube and online tutorials, I taught myself a new trick!

Wasted space bugs me… I made this toe kick drawer… I’m pleased with the result!

too many pictures... continued in next post

“I don't understand the square to round transition for the dust collector.”

The outlet side of the blower is square, but the ductwork is 6” round. We aren’t collecting or filtering any of the dust/chips… just blowing them straight out the backwall onto his 700 acres!

SG

A cautionary note on the cam clamps… they are powerful! I found that it’s easy to overpower screws holding jigs and mess up alignment! I have to use steel dowels to maintain position…

I make a lot of closely sized dowels for one time projects. I use oversized oak dowels and then trim them in a spiral ramped cut, to trim to withing a couple thousandths. I usually then have to slip a "5-in-1" tool under two opposing edges to lift the project off the deck. In a repetitive process, a fixed position, 2 or 3 sided fence with some of these cam clamps would work really well.

Sorry to hear about the heart attack and all... I hope you are on the mend Steve!

Very sorry to hear about Back stuff(I can identify) and heart Steve!!

LOVE the kick space idea!
    I had my cabinets built with 4" kickspace because of wheelchair and toes, BUT a year ago icemaker supply hose let go and I had a pond on kitchen concrete floor!
    After mopping pond up...saw the cherry kick trim was ruined and attacked with renovator's pry bar.....it was only 1/8" cherry ply siliconed to OSB!!
    Took all that trim and OSB out......and retrimming has been on "to-do" list for over a year
    Only 4 " space, but great for my baking sheets!
    Going to steal that idea!
    THANKS!

Cam clamps are Great(I use Shopfox...and FINALLY BBPly wedges(alternating grain helps with vibration loosening))...discovered early on that the Desktop "Quick-jig" with just dowels and wedges just didn't hack it for me.
    So when Bill Young offered his "wedging-top" for full use of the cutting area;
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/sho...p-Jigging-Pics
    I added threaded inserts between his dowel placement. Dowels are great for quick alignment, and then furniture connection bolts to keep stuff from moving has worked for 6 yrs
    LIKE how easy yours are to make!!

Thanks for posting all that Steve!!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine