Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adirondack Chair lets get more prjoject posts

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    Looks great, Phil. Don't remember that option when I was in your woodshop class at Lee High, but then, that was a mere 36 years ago...!
    Thanks for posting!

Jeff
    Jeff, I always love to hear from former students. When I taught at the high school in Lee I was teaching metal shop. Around 1982 I was transferred to Central School and taught Jr. High wood shop. The popular Adirondack chair project began a few years later. From 2002 - 2008 I moved to Lenox High school and continued the Adirondack chair project there. I retired in 2008 and bought a Shopbot for my home shop. We had one at the shop in Lenox and I got hooked.

Phil

When I taught at the high school in Lee I was teaching metal shop.
    That's right - I took "Industrial Arts", which first half was metal shop with you as teacher- making scrolls and welding with Oxy/Acetylene torch. Believe it or not, I still have the hammer I made on the metal lathe hanging on the wall in my shop to this day!
    Second half was wood shop, which I thought you ran a few classes in as well. I guess the memories blend a bit over the decades...!

Here's that hammer:

knurled hammer.jpg

Jeff

This is a very cool thread!

I just wonder how many of us who love our Bots started with some high school shop class knowledge? I had several shop classes and of course the one I liked the best was wood-shop and the least was metal shop. Being a teen I liked auto shop. Because of my high school training I understood most of the commands in the Vectric software. The other high school class that also helped was my senior year in a graphics art class. This is a fun thread. Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Quote Originally Posted by jTr View Post
    That's right - I took "Industrial Arts", which first half was metal shop with you as teacher- making scrolls and welding with Oxy/Acetylene torch. Believe it or not, I still have the hammer I made on the metal lathe hanging on the wall in my shop to this day!
    Second half was wood shop, which I thought you ran a few classes in as well. I guess the memories blend a bit over the decades...!

Here's that hammer:

Jeff
    I have the same hammer in my toolbox. That put a smile on my face this morning. Thanks for posting. Anytime I talk to former students they all tell me that they still have their shop projects. Wonderful to hear.

Phil

Here are some Catskill chairs since I live in the Catskills, I designed them a little differently than traditional, the seatboards are mortised into the main legs. I made some out of Sapele and some out of white Oak.

The shopbot cut the main legs and patterns for me to do the rest of the parts on the pin router. Some of my originals have been outside all year for at least ten years and are grey and perfectly fine,

Quote Originally Posted by chiloquinruss View Post
    I just wonder how many of us who love our Bots started with some high school shop class knowledge? I had several shop classes and of course the one I liked the best was wood-shop and the least was metal shop. Being a teen I liked auto shop. Because of my high school training I understood most of the commands in the Vectric software. The other high school class that also helped was my senior year in a graphics art class. This is a fun thread. Russ
    I took shop class industrial arts as it was called in junior high and was lucky enough to put in and get accepted to cabinet making for 10 11 12 grade it was a half day VO TECH program my teacher Mr Kamen was awesome, since then besides my time in the Army as a mechanic and welder I have been in woodworking.
    Last edited by Brian Harnett; 06-29-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Beautiful design Brian!!
    SOLID yet graceful!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

The Catskill chairs are very nice. Where did you get the Sapele. I live not far from the Catskills in Berkshire county, MA. I've been to the Catskill area many times. We used to take our kids to Catskill game farm.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by phil_o View Post
    The Catskill chairs are very nice. Where did you get the Sapele. I live not far from the Catskills in Berkshire county, MA. I've been to the Catskill area many times. We used to take our kids to Catskill game farm.

Phil
    I got it from Downes & Reader Hardwood out of MA but I just looked up the website and it is not working not sure if they are still in business that would be a shame, they had good prices if buying over 500 BF even better at 1000 BF with a 25.00 truck fee Last time I got a big truckload was at least 5 years ago. I have been milling most of my own wood and kiln drying for custom work lately.