Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adirondack Chair lets get more prjoject posts

Default Adirondack Chair lets get more prjoject posts

I built this Adirondack chair from Fine Woodworking magazine plans. The curved legs are the only parts that I used my Shopbot to make. I've built quite a few standard Adirondack chairs when I was teaching high school wood shop. This is by far the most comfortable. I'm 70 years old with some back issues. This is my go to chair when my back is hurting. Excellent design.

Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images

That DOES look like good lumbar support Phil
    Is there a little steam bending going on there(or is it the pic)?
    Looks like a lot could be done on the 'Bot...but sometimes traditional tools work better.
    Wood thickness on the back slats is...?
    Is there a joint where arm rest changes angle?

Looks comfy
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Hi Scott, it is very comfy. No steam bending. The back slats contour is cut on the bandsaw and yes there is a blind loose mortise and tenon joint at the arm rest.

Phil

That is a great looking chair Phil! I love the bent wood back. Is there a different material where the legs meet the floor? And what kind of cleat did you use to support the seat rails? It looks like that one would be great to sit in and rest a weary back! Good work!

Ah. ...not "bent" back. Fun!

Thanks Phil!!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by MogulTx View Post
    That is a great looking chair Phil! I love the bent wood back. Is there a different material where the legs meet the floor? And what kind of cleat did you use to support the seat rails? It looks like that one would be great to sit in and rest a weary back! Good work!
    I added a 1/2" Trex scrap to the feet to prevent moisture from wicking into the legs and rotting the wood. There is no cleat to support the seat slats. I cut a groove into the curved legs on my Shopbot to hold the slats.

Phil

You can 3d print feet if you have access to a 3d printer . This was a collaboration with the AtFAB folks for slotted legs in office furniture, to both protect the floor and to keep the legs part aligned, but if you're skilled with 3d modeling you can go wild and make them look like elephant feet or whatever you want!

2020-06-27 10.10.00.jpg

Phil! GREAT idea!! I had wondered if you had done something specifically to address water and rot.

Bill Young: You too! 3D printing is a happening little hot spot. I think it will grow substantially int he coming decade. ANd that could be yet another way to mod up our projects. I like the idea of fun feet like elephant or claw foot or something!

This is why this forum is valuable to a person looking to use the shopbot!

Looks great, Phil. Don't remember that option when I was in your woodshop class at Lee High, but then, that was a mere 36 years ago...!
    Thanks for posting!

Jeff