Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aspire 10.5 Available

More thread drift...

Whenever I see the name STIHL, I think back to the 90's, when STIHL hired me to do a month long complex data conversion project.

Upon delivery of the finished product, they told me I did a great job and were happy. I asked for my check and I was told it was going to be mailed from corporate. My terms for one time customers have always been payment upon delivery. I made an exception because STIHL was a national brand.

30 days later, no check. I called their office and they told me they changed the specifications and my work was no longer relevant. I wasn't going to be paid. Well, that was an $8,000 mistake on my part.

About three months later, I get a panicked call from a VP regarding the tapes they gave me that I used in the project. The tapes I had were their only copies and they needed them back fast. I told the VP that yes, I had the tapes. He asked how quickly I could get them down to their office. I replied "I can see them from where I sit and they are safe and intact." He asked if I would bring them down immediately and I said "Sure, how quickly do you want them?" He responded "We're down and need them to restore our system." I replied "I can have them to you in an hour." He thanked me profusely and went on and on how they had never made a backup. I replied "I can have them there in 20 minutes." A pause of silence. "I have your check." I told him "You need to cut a new check as the amount is wrong." He was puzzled and went over my invoice and the check amount. "Did you read the contract we signed?" He said no. "I have a late fee of 30% per month. Your company agreed to the terms and now it's 90 days late. That's 30% compounded monthly in late fees." He swore angrily and slammed the phone down.

I went back to work and started whistling a happy tune. About twenty minutes later, the VP of operations, his boss, called me, hat in hand, asking if we could negotiate on the late charges. We settled on $12k. I drove the tapes down to their office, and a very pretty young lady comes running out, excited "Please give me the tapes, we need them!!!!". I said "Well hold on their missy. Where's my check?" She said "It's coming! I need the tapes." I responded back how I'd love to give them to her but my terms, as always, are payment on delivery. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.).

I sat there and waited nearly two hours as they fumbled around. Right before lunch, some low end secretary came out with two checks. One for $8k and another for $4k. She handed me the checks, I handed her the tapes. Nobody actually looked to see if they were real. I guess they trusted me. Odd. I made the deposit fully expecting the checks to be stopped but they had the sense not to do something so foolhardy.

Ever since then, when I see the name STIHL, I feel a sense of both rage and intense satisfaction.

Funny thing, when they gave me the tapes, they told me to be careful as they were the only copies. Hmmm.

It's always good to keep a little leverage.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Excellent Story John
    When I General'd the house, only the very biggest company(furnace/hydronic heat/general plumbing) screwed me....the little guy handshake deals worked out great(except for 1 tile guy).
    GLAD you got satisfaction!

My guys are Jonsered Beavers Scott!
    Although that Sugar Maple is STILL standing deadwood after 5 yrs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Default Stihl

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    More thread drift...

Whenever I see the name STIHL, I think back to the 90's, when STIHL hired me to do a month long complex data conversion project.

Upon delivery of the finished product, they told me I did a great job and were happy. I asked for my check and I was told it was going to be mailed from corporate. My terms for one time customers have always been payment upon delivery. I made an exception because STIHL was a national brand.

30 days later, no check. I called their office and they told me they changed the specifications and my work was no longer relevant. I wasn't going to be paid. Well, that was an $8,000 mistake on my part.

About three months later, I get a panicked call from a VP regarding the tapes they gave me that I used in the project. The tapes I had were their only copies and they needed them back fast. I told the VP that yes, I had the tapes. He asked how quickly I could get them down to their office. I replied "I can see them from where I sit and they are safe and intact." He asked if I would bring them down immediately and I said "Sure, how quickly do you want them?" He responded "We're down and need them to restore our system." I replied "I can have them to you in an hour." He thanked me profusely and went on and on how they had never made a backup. I replied "I can have them there in 20 minutes." A pause of silence. "I have your check." I told him "You need to cut a new check as the amount is wrong." He was puzzled and went over my invoice and the check amount. "Did you read the contract we signed?" He said no. "I have a late fee of 30% per month. Your company agreed to the terms and now it's 90 days late. That's 30% compounded monthly in late fees." He swore angrily and slammed the phone down.

I went back to work and started whistling a happy tune. About twenty minutes later, the VP of operations, his boss, called me, hat in hand, asking if we could negotiate on the late charges. We settled on $12k. I drove the tapes down to their office, and a very pretty young lady comes running out, excited "Please give me the tapes, we need them!!!!". I said "Well hold on their missy. Where's my check?" She said "It's coming! I need the tapes." I responded back how I'd love to give them to her but my terms, as always, are payment on delivery. (Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.).

I sat there and waited nearly two hours as they fumbled around. Right before lunch, some low end secretary came out with two checks. One for $8k and another for $4k. She handed me the checks, I handed her the tapes. Nobody actually looked to see if they were real. I guess they trusted me. Odd. I made the deposit fully expecting the checks to be stopped but they had the sense not to do something so foolhardy.

Ever since then, when I see the name STIHL, I feel a sense of both rage and intense satisfaction.

Funny thing, when they gave me the tapes, they told me to be careful as they were the only copies. Hmmm.

It's always good to keep a little leverage.
    Love your story, nothing like a little leverage. Keep it up. Thanks JERRY

Guessing he got halfway through and ran out of gas!?
    Scott

Just guessing Scott....But I think he dulled his bits on the Sugar Maple and didn't like the chip size.
    Liked the chip size better and bit longevity working Poplar.....and tastes almost as good as Maple tops with half the work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Love those kinds of stories. We were owed some 20K from a catalog company I build for. No one was answering phones or emails. Then they placed orders for 2 jobs. We asked about the late funds. ' Ah, well. Let me find out.' Soon VP emailed that he put us on priority pay. Check came - 7K was my part. Requested jobs were run and shipped. Will be interesting to see if e are still on priority pay or when/how that invoicing works out. Nice to have leverage.

SO I went to the article... but did not see the reference to the bit that one would use for tapping/threading. I will assume it would be some form of specialty wood-thread tap? I am now curious about this because I have thought often of doing threads onto/into plastic and this may be my path forward! Thanks for any assistance you folks can offer. Monty

Regarding threads: For outside threads, such as a round object, using an indexer and a V carve end mill should be great. Lots of possibilities there. For inside threads, such as inside a table leg mount, the options are very limited.

Inside thread limitations: (my opinion)
    1. The end mill has to have a horizontal cutting edge, like an edge beading tool.
    2. The end mill and cutting head have to fit inside the "hole" to be threaded.
    3. The threads per inch count has to take into account that the spinning end mill will cut a rather wide swath into the material, so only very coarse threads are possible.
    4. The deeper the threads are cut, the lower the thread count per inch.
    5. There are very few edge beading cutting tools available that would work.

Here's a tool that would cut inside threads: (minus the bearings of course)

54190_2.jpg
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Vectric V10.5 Tutorials | Thread Milling Toolpath Guide 2D Toolpaths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehb6KKyLdcI

Magnate #796 works well for male and female threads diameter 3/4" or bigger. it is 1-7/8" long and can cut threads about 1-1/4" long. It is also quite reasonably priced ($18). The 90-degree profile angle makes more robust threads in wood than the typical 60 degree angle used for metals.
    Here some pics of my latest project with Vcarve/Aspire 10.5. All parts were finished before assembly and then bolted together with the wooden screws.
    PlantStand04.jpg PlantStand06.jpg
    PlantStand09.jpg PlantStand11.jpg