Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ShopBot Circles cuts out of alignment

>> even on a PRS Standard, those speeds and feeds sound slow.

Sounds like the machine is worn out. Slowing things down reduces the forces on the end mill and should reduce backlash in the system. Cutting both the depth of cut and speed by half should yield about the same chip load and reduce the forces acting on the machine by a factor of four. Naturally, adjust the RPM's to compensate and get the best cut quality.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

But that doesn't suss out or fix the problem. A loose or out of calibration machine should be fixed now matter what speed you're cutting at

Quote Originally Posted by EricSchimel View Post
    But that doesn't suss out or fix the problem. A loose or out of calibration machine should be fixed now matter what speed you're cutting at
    I totally agree except that in this case, the OP doesn't control the machine. So if he wants to use it, he'll have to work around the limitations of the equipment. Of course, if he can get the workshop to fix it, that would be great too. How long will that take?
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Knowing what's wrong with it will determine whether or not there's even a work-around that works. Also, being in a shared workspace it'd be nice to be able to tell others/those in charge of fixing it what might be wrong with it.

Blindly dropping feeds and speeds is a crapshoot at best for getting accurate cuts on a compromised machine.

Ok, if you want to argue, that's great. I'm finished with my thoughts on the subject.

Have a nice day!
    ShopBot Details:
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Sorry you took that the wrong way... I wasn't trying to argue, I was just trying to help solve a problem.

My thoughts simply were that if you can pinpoint the problem you'll learn a lot, and either be able to fix it or do a proper workaround if that's needed.

Again, I wasn't trying to argue with you at all, I apologize if you took it that way.