Thread: Box Joint Crate

Default Box Joint Crate

This is a simple box jointed "crate". I designed it just for fun. The emblem on the sides is our "Clan Badge" for the MakGill's. I thought it a fun little project to figure out the 6 sides of the box and to have the machine cut all the materials and I would set the pieces together when complete. It took a lot more planning than I imagined and it took a great deal in execution too! I used one 8' 1 x 12 for this prototype. The box is 17" long x 11.25" wide by approx 10" tall, with a slide lid. All completed on the ShopBot. I used an 1/8" bit for most of the peripheral cuts and corner relief ( so the box joints would atually be able to nest fully into one another). I used a 1/4" for the clearing for the finger pull areas. I used a 60 degree V Bit for the decoration on all 6 sides. And I used a 3/8"radius round nosed bit to create the swoop down from full thickness on the top, to the thinner flanges that would become the "slide". (And, of course an end mill to transition and flatten from there out to the edges of the lid so it would ride well in the slots I created.

All in all it was a lot of planning and then hours of work on the machine. Very enjoyable to see it come to fruition. I think I have a few refinements that I want to make before I commit to a "run" of these for my Brothers and Sister... It is not "significant" as far as projects go- but it makes me smile, and I hope it makes at least one of you think about some project that you might do on your machine (when you are not busy earning with it!) that might brighten someone else's day and reinforce your original decision to get one of these wonderful machinesSlide lid for crate.JPGPlywood jig to hold parts for milling.JPGEnd view before stain.JPGSide shot of crate prototype.JPG

This is just the first full prototype. I used pine from the big orange box. When I turn out some real crates I will likely redesign for thinner materials to make them more "refined" and will go for a clear lumber. Probably in white oak. (It is as cheap as clear pine from the big box stores - if you go to a good fine lumber supplier. ) The big box store has 1 x 12 hardwood (oak) at $199 for 8 feet!!! (YIKES!) And walnut for $299!!! (Triple YIKES!!!) That is NOT going to happen, since I can buy white oak at $4-5/bf in 4/4 at the REAL lumber supplier- and take 3 minutes to run it through my planer! Or pay a little extra and get it S4S!!

NICE little project for the Clan!!
    Thanks for posting this!
    Forum has been too Quiet!
    Any project that makes people smile is Great!!
    Fun doing protos and then tweaking!!
    They will Love them!

WOW!! We're in the wrong racket with Oak at$25bf and Walnut almost 40!!
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I love making boxes. It's cathartic. Non-woodworkers would laugh at the amount of effort and skill it takes to make one.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Thanks John... I have made one previously. I liked it enough that it moved me to try this one. I love it, but instantly have several mods that I would like to make to my plan. it is "good" but not refined enough. Now I want to refine it a bit and see how much I can raise its elegance factor. ( It needs to be kicked up a couple notches!) And I want to convert the badge to a 3D kind of carving. I think it will make this box spectacular (and a time hog! But I only intend to run a series of about 6-10 of these, so it would be surmountable from a time standpoint! We will see what I can do about getting a 3D file for the badge and see where this leads! Thanks for the comments. They are appreciated. Monty