I am making a sign approximately 36X27 inches in size using 2 inch western red cedar . I will be gluing three pieces of 2X10 inch lumber together to create the panel. There is no 3D image going on this sign, however there is a lot of raised lettering and trees with some v-carved sections etc. with larger pocketed areas. There is also a border around the perimeter of the sign that I plan to v-carve using the 60 degree bit.

I have two options for wood, one board is flatsawn while the other is more like quartersawn. The quartersawn piece would be preferred because it is more clear (no knots) and has a nice darker red colouring however I want to used the wood that will produce the best finish without a lot of fuzz/sanding if possible.

Can anyone comment on which piece would yield the best result? Any general comments about carving on flatsawn vs quartersawn wood wood also be helpful.

For future reference, if there were a 3d image to be carved, any recommended settings for the router e.g. rpm and Aspire settings that would be best re. rastering angle wood also be appreciated?

Thanks in advance for any advice.