Thread: Importing cut files into another project

Default Importing cut files into another project

Guys and Gals

I am working on a project where, after designing 6 individual pieces to the project, I was trying to figure out the way to plan it on my table. I have a 5 x 10, and the parts would all come out of a 12" wide piece of material, so it makes sense to plan them all onto a single piece- but I have all of them planned individually.

Thus this question: Is there a way to import cut files from one project to another in Aspire 9.5 (not just replications of the artwork. The CUT files). That way I get all the custom set up I have done on feeds, speeds, bit changes, etc. And don't have to go back through and add a bunch of picky stuff to each file and then replicate it in multiples across the table and would allow me to group into a single cut file and run them.

Currently, as a work around, I am planning them out in a string down the table, and then across the table in rows. So I can run 24 parts at a time- in succession... with very few bit changes (3 bits per part) My current method involves going in and saving off each file then copying the GCode text and pasting it at the end of the previous file, deleting the returns to Safe Z and to 0,0 etc. But that is the only way I know how to address what I am trying to do. So maybe your experience can teach me a new trick...

I plan to run a minimum of 144 of these parts so either way, it will be worth the effort. Just trying to learn something new and speedier, if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Monty

I'll give it a stab. 3 bits per part. Six parts.
    Label a layer for each bit. Make the layer labels universal regardless of which one of the six parts is.

When done for the six parts, make a master file with three layers.
    Open a second copy of Aspire for part #1 and copy each layer to the master file/layout.
    Close second copy.
    Open another Aspire for part #2, repeat the copy to master process.

You should end up with all six parts, all three bits, in your master/layout file.

I did a quick test and I could copy from two different open copies of Aspire. Good luck, have fun! Russ
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Monty,
    Not sure if this helps, but when doing button and other protos....and wanted to make several different ones to fit on a blank for samples.

Make ONE component Completely toolpathed with all different bit cuts on separate layers, AND associated toolpath with that layer for Auto selection.
    Do ONE each of the 6 toolpathed completely the same way.
    Then you can Group each one individually, and then you can move them manually or do linear array or Nest.....and all the copies will be fully toolpathed(and tabbed if so).
    Probably Lousy explanation as I haven't done it in 3 yrs, but the Celtic Protos shown used 3 or 4 tools and were linear arrayed after placing the first ones manually.
    The last step was to place all my originals(that I had copied and moved) on an Original layer in No Man's Land and layer turned off. Then Ungroup Everything....and recalculate

Sorry for rotten description. It's basically covered in a old Vectric tutorial on Layers associated with toolpathing...I'll look for it if Internet holds up.
    scott

So much for my memory....I did the pictured one the HARD way when I opened the 2014 file....Probably why I started doing as described
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Sorry Monty...I misunderstood
    Once One is totally toolpathed, you can checkmark all toolpaths you want to make them visible, and save all of them as a toolpath template,
    and then they can be imported as a group on the new job, or added to an existing job.
    Hopefully that's better?
    Been up since 2am, and last coffee was at 10am
    (probably STILL have it wrong
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

While the other guys have covered your query from the Aspire side, it sounds like you could just make one design with the toolpaths for it and then create a master file (.sbp) that would call up the part file in 2d offset. Your master file would do the pre-positioning for each offset and then call up the part file. This saves having many toolpaths that do the same thing, but just in a different location, all saved into one very large long part file (or cutting and pasting as you have done). It also allows you to edit just one set of toolpaths if an edit is needed, rather than editing all 24.

If this is what you might be thinking of, I can give some examples. If I'm not following your question correctly, disregard the above.
    Scott