Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auxiliary Axis Control

Default Auxiliary Axis Control

I inherited a PRT Alpha (2004, I think) from my uncle who passed away. I’m brand spankin’ new to CNC, so I’m just learning the basics. It has twin z routers, but I cannot figure out how to control the auxiliary axis. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Default Welcome

Welcome ... so did you move the Bot already ??? Even that is not easy.

The best thing to do would be to find another Botter nearby and make a visit to their shop or have them make a visit.

Perhaps post a few pictures so everyone can see what you have.
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I am able to move it. I even cut the sample Shopbot logo this morning!
    Here are some pics of the machine. D1C27F58-B28C-48B1-926A-3CE6049D13BE.jpgBB4429EE-B3C2-4971-AE78-EF57E8B660B9.jpg0403BBDA-67BA-420C-A60B-04FF5DB6A9FF.jpg

Eric...

In the ShopBot control software under the “Values” tab. Select “Display values” this will bring up a list of option… don’t mess with ones you’re unsure about! On the “Number of Axes” line change it to say “4”, this will add the second Z axis as the “A” axis to your control pad. Also, when using the keypad to move, holding down the [ALT] key will now switch the arrow keys to operate the “A” axis.

It will save you a lot of time if you’ll come to Texas and spend a day with me! Alternately, feel free to ask questions here!

SG

Thanks for the invite! At the moment, travel isn’t possible though.

I was able to add the 2nd z axis and can move it. Thanks!
    Now if I can figure out how to zero it...

“Now if I can figure out how to zero it..”

Somewhere in the files you downloaded from ShopBot, is a file called “Azero”. You run that file just like it’s a cut file…

SG

Boom! Got it. Thanks so much!

Now… before you get in trouble… when you set up your bit database, watch the tool numbers you assign to them… bits 1-19 will cut on the Z axis 20-39 on the A (second Z axis).

SG

Steve

You are a wealth of knowledge AND you do this like ShopBotters ought to always do it- warm and welcoming and offering up insights. Having met you in person, I know you are every bit as nice in person, but my hat is definitely off to you this AM. All the best to you.

Monty

Just in case if this happens to be a new software setup, be sure to run Tools/Shopbot Setup to set the offset for the second Z. Just follow the prompts and instructions to work through it.

If you were able to cut the logo, you may already have it taken care of.
    Scott