Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Water Resistant Finish

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Thanks for the detailed instructions, very helpful! I still have a few Bondo spreaders but with this super low viscosity resin I guess a brush is the easier way to go.

    I dug out my old project material and I found a roll of Carbon/Kevlar twill and a roll of glass fiber twill fabric. My wife tells me that I am a hoarder, not sure why...
    While the black and yellow Carbon/Kevlar really looks cool, I will go with the glass fiber since it is easier to check the wetting and bubbles. Also, sanding Kevlar composite is near impossible without a lot of fuzz.

    Last time I used that stuff was for a similar catamaran some 30 years ago, although back then with wooden hulls. So I after 30 years I am bit out of practice with the lamination business...

    Anyway, I put a first thin sealing coat on the rudder blades today as recommended and will add a layer of the glass fiber tomorrow. There were bunch of bubbles but the torch did not work as intended. While waving the flame burst the big bubbles, the heat apparently made the wood expel more air and I ended up with hundreds of tiny bubbles. A few strokes with the brush removed most of that and I will sand the surface smooth before proceeding.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    ny
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Viscosity really has nothing to do with, it I use west system it is pretty thin the Bondo spreader squeegees out excess, too much epoxy actually weakens the lamination and adds weight. probably not an issue in your case. Its spreads way more effectively than a brush.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Oh well I changed my mind again...after seeing the nice contiguous coat of the epoxy (I used a thin and a thick layer of the System Three Clear Coat) I decided to forego the glass fiber layup. Given the short immersion I hope this will be good enough.

    Here some progress pics:

    Rudder Blades after epoxy coating
    DSC01939-001.jpg

    Rudder brackets/hinges and transom installed
    DSC01944-001.jpg

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Memphis TN
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Looks nice! You can always sand it and add a few layers of glass at a later time if you feel the need.
    ShopBot Details:
    PRS Alpha 96x60x12
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kennebunkport, Maine
    Posts
    4,295

    Default

    Looking good G. !

    Are you adding something at the interface of wood/inflatable to reduce chafing?

    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 10
    Maine

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Looking good G. !

    Are you adding something at the interface of wood/inflatable to reduce chafing?

    scott
    Not sure yet. I will watch if there is surface abrasion. If so I may glue a wear strip onto the inflatable hull or add some cushioning in between.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    More progress. We had a bout of frost and snow last week here in Ft. Collins but this weekend it was nice, sunny and 80+ degrees again. So I hope I will still have a chance to try the boat this year

    I installed the rudder blades, they are made to allow for beaching without damage:

    Operating position:
    IMG_2078.JPG

    Half-raised position, should be still maneuvrable:
    IMG_2080.JPG

    Fully raised for taking in/out:
    IMG_2081.JPG

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    986

    Default

    I decided to eliminate the daggerboards. Just too awkward with an inflatable catamaran. Or maybe I did not have a good solution for it.

    Instead I made some mini-keels and the appropriate base boards to strap to the hulls. Maybe not as efficient but Hobie Cats have not had daggerboards for a long time.

    The keels are machined double sided, using the Vectric molding toolpath.
    The base boards are fully 3D machined from 1.5" BB plywood. Even with a 1/2" ballnose it took a couple of hours...

    Since the 6' length exceeded my machine limits, I used 3 tiles. Worked kind of O.K. although it is difficult to align the tiles better than maybe 20/1000" (I could not use dowels). But that is what the sander is good for.

    Keel base boards:
    IMG_2129.JPG

    Mini-Keels:
    IMG_2132.JPG

    Tomorrow I will glue and screw the keels to the baseboard.

    Another little gadget: Since the inflatable does not allow for a real traveler for the main sheet with a rail, I designed a kind of "flying traveler", using a single block and two cam cleats. I am curious how that will work:
    IMG_2130.JPG

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Memphis TN
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Looks great! Hope it works.
    ShopBot Details:
    PRS Alpha 96x60x12
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •