Thread: Porter Cable Stick it sandpaper

Default Porter Cable Stick it sandpaper

This has nothing to do with my ShopBot, but I am having a heck of a time with PC Stick it sandpaper for quite awhile now no matter where I buy it. It sticks real good and usually destroys the pad on my sander in the process of removing it. Is anyone else having this issue?
    MikeK
    ShopBot BenchTop with 4G upgrade
    Vacuum Table with Fein Vac
    Aspire 4.5

That sandpaper is my absolute favorite for hand sanding. I cut a piece, fold it over and with a snap blade razor knife, trim the edges square. The thickness of the two sheets is just right to form a semi-rigid sanding surface. It's really great for getting into tight spaces as it will hold up on its own without any backing yet bend enough to get around a rounded edge.

It sure does stick. I think you'll have to use a solvent to get it completely off a tool. I prefer hook and loop so don't run into the glue issue.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

I learned a trick years ago from a friend of mine that worked at a real nice boat yard. They wrapped the pad with duct tape. Two widths one way and then two the other way overlapping sides to the back, before putting the pad on the sander. Works great for me. Doesn't effect sanding results. Last a long time until the duct tape starts give out, but then it's time for a new pad anyway. Try it,it works.
    T Fix
    2000 ShopBot PRT 96 CNC Tool

Blow the surface with a heat gun. After a few seconds the glue will get soft and you can peel it easily. That is what I used with other brands. Never tried it with Porter Cable brand.

I will try it! Sounds good.
    MikeK
    ShopBot BenchTop with 4G upgrade
    Vacuum Table with Fein Vac
    Aspire 4.5