Thread: Pocketing operation tool set up

Default Pocketing operation tool set up

Hi all,

I have a job where I need to do a narrow (3/16") grove cut in a cabinet side for a striker plate. My usual pocketing tool is a .25" M.C. bit, which will be to big. I added a .125" spiral bit in the tooling, after the .25" M.C. bit in the tooling operation set up and checked the 'Rout/Dado' type of operation it's to perform.

No dice. Part gets nested and the operation throws an error warning saying the pocket can't get performed....

Seems like it should be straight forward tool set up but there must be something I'm missing? Haven't found anything in the help manual that would clear this up and was wondering if anyone else has had this pocketing issue and knows how to set up a tool to make it run the pocket?

Thanks,
    Tim

Here's how I've set up the .125" bit..

Attached Images Attached Images

Since the slot is a pocket, you'll need to set the tool as your pocket tool in Pocket Settings of Settings. Alternately you might be able to use a phantom part to dado into the side to create your slot, but you'll need to account for some overshoots at the end of the slot that will occur from it being a dado.