Thread: New Spindle

Default New Spindle

So- several years ago I was made aware that my spindle (4HP HSD) was "noisy" and I would need to replace it eventually. I did nothing about this at first. I knew the advice was solid, but it didn't sound all that noisy to me. ( I had come from using a router and it was not as noisy as a router).

I got into several large projects after that, and one had a very tight delivery time line- and I did not want to have an issue if the spindle failed in mid-project. SO, I ordered a new spindle from ShopBot. BUT- I didn't install it. I figured the machine would tell me when I needed to replace it. I THINK that was about 4 years ago, and I have kept the new spindle, sitting upright and it gets a gentle spin every now and then- but no other interaction.

So- I was planning on replacing the pinions ( also about 4 years old now)- and decided it was time to put that spindle on. I mean the thing HAS gotten noisier. Not awful, I guess. But noisy.

The new spindle so quiet that you have a tough time knowing if it is spinning during a 9K initial warm up- even if you are as close as 5-10 feet away! Oh My Gosh! I should have replaced this thing a couple years ago! What a blessing! Yes. I still get bit noise from the cutting process, but it is SO QUIET! It is going to make my future cuts a much better experience!

Keep your machines up and maintained!

Monty

Nice pleasant surprise Monty
    When people visit me that have routers...."OMG...it's Quiet" is usually one of the first things they say
    +1 on maintenance!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

I recently upgraded to an ATC with a 5hp spindle. My previous spindle was the original (2009) 2.2hp spindle. The older spindle was noisy starting up but quieted down after passing the 9k rpm speed. The new, bigger spindle doesn't seem much quieter then the old one when starting up. I've found that finding the sweet spot for feed and rpm makes for a quiet day (other then the vacuum table motors). In 11 years, I've replaced my pinions twice. After every cutting project I give my machine a good cleaning and tune up. Reset all the motors, clean and regrease all the racks. Clean V-bearings really good, clean track where the bearings ride. I've found that doing this type of maintenance really extends the life of the machine and makes for better, consistent performance.
    Don
    Diamond Lake Custom Woodworks, LLC
    www.dlwoodworks.com
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece; But to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, bank accounts empty, credit cards maxed out, defiantly shouting "Geronimo"!

If you make something idiot proof, all they do is create a better idiot.

>> After every cutting project I give my machine a good cleaning and tune up.
    The number one enemy of moving parts is contamination.
    The number one enemy of electronic parts is heat.

Keep your machine clean as it was on day one and it will last far longer and have fewer problems than a machine that has been neglected. This is true of any machine, be it a car, table saw or CNC.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Default Spindle size

So is a 5 hp spindle more for heavy duty cabinet work ?

What determines if one would need a 2, 3 or 5 hp ? Does it make a difference if one has an alpha or not ?

I seldom use more than a 1/4 inch diameter bit for most things.

The speed of the spindle is always controlled by the software ? or is there a speed setting on the router ?

thanks,
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

Spindles should be very quiet. You should check the runout on them occasionally. This is one that's got a failing bearing:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QE2dsskzx9TySm7v7

Eventually it started getting louder and louder. I replaced that spindle with the same one 3 years ago, and almost 3 years to the day I wore that one out.

Monty: Make sure you tram that new spindle in if you haven't already.

Curtiss

I use mine to cut a lot of aluminum and hardwoods, etc. I think the 4HP spindle is a solid choice for me. If you are doing light cutting on light materials, it would likely be overkill. I also often use bits that are 1/2" or larger diameter- and shaped bits that take a lot of energy to drive into the material. Speed (forward speed) is always controlled by me and I derived my cutting speeds from suggestions from more knowledgeable people and my own trial and error. This, combined with rotation speeds are governed by chip load calculation ( or by direct measure of the thickness of the chips. Which I have done a number of times). You can also tell if a router or spindle is struggling by the sound it makes. if it SOUNDS like it is struggling, IT IS. Change forward speed or depth of plunge or rotational speed (or all three).....

Eric That's a fair wobble you have there! I trammed it to within a couple thousandths. Took a few tries, but was worth it. Edge quality is very good (and improved) and perpendicularity to the bed looks very good. No raster lines when I planed the table. I did not check run out on the old one. I don't really need to know. I was getting some run out for sure- but it is now a done deal. I may set up and check the run out on the new one, but it was very solid when installed the other day. There is probably value in checking now and waiting for 3-6 months and checking run out again- and making that an every 6 months bit of data collection.