Thread: Engraving Material

Default Engraving Material

We are new to the Shopbot CNC world and are trying to route Rowmark engraving material. The results are not acceptable due to tooling marks. We are using an 1/8" end mill with slow feed rates ( 20 inches per min), moderate router speeds ( 14,000 rpm) and cutting depth of .02. The tooling marks are not everywhere but appear on certain letters inconsistently.

Any thoughts on how to achieve a cleaner end product?

Default photo ?

Do you have a photo?

With plastic, the bit manufacturer might be your best bet on information on the feeds & speeds.

Does it clean up if you run the file twice ? / maybe add few 1000ths on the second pass ?
    The decimal point seems to be the most important on the z axis... x & y not so much....
    ShopBot... Where even the scraps and things you mess up and throw away are cool....

I do a ton of little name plates / badges, etc. I have never used an end mill, always some form of ENGRAVING bit. Russ

Attached Images Attached Images
    AKA: Da Train Guy

Thanks for your advice. I purchased an engraving bit and will let you know how that works. i appreciate the guidance.

I should also add for larger plaques / signs if there is going to be a large 'pocket' area I use two tool paths. First I use the 'tapered' engrave bit to 'outline' the pocket, and then you can use an end mill to do the pocket. This is because you have already relieved the edge of the pocket. I hope that makes sense! Russ

TJ oftened mentioned these bits designed for color core with high praise;
    https://www.centuriontools.com/collections/engraving
    Never personally used them, just thought I'd mention them.
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Yep. that's the beastie's! Russ

I use a lot of Gemini Duets material and they have mostly material for laser engraving which I use but also have different material for machine engraving. Not sure the difference but there must be?

I have engraved with the Rowmark. You need to triple your feed to 60ips. If you have large areas to clear, try using one of the flat bottom endmills from Centurion. https://www.centuriontools.com/colle.../downshear-fem
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router