Thread: SANDER HEAD for SPINDLE

Default SANDER HEAD for SPINDLE

Has anyone tried adapting a hook & loop pad by adding a center shaft that could be chucked into a spindle collett for surface sanding?

When we use a large "table surfacer" type router bit to mill a big glued-up plank nice and flat, it sure would be nice to use the ShopBot to sand the tool marks off too.

Charlie...
    Make sure that the sander head is rated for the RPM you run it at. Very few rotary sanding heads run at more than a few thousand rpm.
    Gary

Charlie,
    You might want to check out the following link. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49254&cat=1,42500
    Lee Valley handles a Tim Skilton sanding pad that is hook and loop. The largest they handle is 3 inch dia. I use these pads chucked in my drill press for sanding the inside bottom of boxes and trays that I have been making. Don't know why it would not work on the BOT provided your spindle has a low enough rpm, Mind goes down to 5K which is pretty close to the speed I run the drill press. Only issue I have had so far is if I apply too much pressure on the pad (it has a foam core) the sand paper loop backing pulls loose from the paper. As long as I don't get too agressive it works great!
    Mike

Hopefully you have a spindle, and can turn the speed down to almost a crawl for sanding purposes. 3M makes a product called roloc (spelling?) that are scotchbrite discs that quickly screw into an arbour, which can be mounted into the 1/4 inch collet. I've been thinking along these same lines, being as I spend more time sanding than milling, on selected parts. I would like to see a foam insert, same shapes as router bits used to mill, impregnated with abrasive. Eg 3/4 ball cutter, run part file, change bit for sanding 'cutter', also a 3/4 ball shape, then run the part file again. I believe this would work quite well, and you could go to finishing stage right off the machine.

Has anyone else done this yet?

i have tried using the scotch-brite type pads you are speaking of unfortunatly I have a pc router not a spindle so the rpms are to high and the arbour blows apart. I have been considering manufacturing an arbour of my own that can handle the rpm's and also spring loading the shank so as to get consisent pressure across the board

I think unless it is spring loaded it is not going to be practical. gettign the pressure just right would be a real pain.