Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intro and of course questions, tons of questions

Yes, am getting the 5hp spindle motor. If that can't handle a large cutter IDK what would.

I do intend to get a bunch of cheap end mills knowing full well that I'll be breaking them while getting my feeds/speeds down.

I had a few v-bits included in my package, but TBH I don't expect to use them as much as end mills for aluminum/plastic. While I'd LOVE to just do HDU work, my main "game" is electric signs. Also, I may have to upgrade the dust shoe but will see how that is when it arrives.

For the spoilboard, I'm going to use LDF though I am open to suggestions. I'll be doing a lot of thru-cutting (letters, etc. from plex and alum) so it will get beat up and replaced as needed. This reminds me to find a new supplier for that. MDF is easy to get but LDF a bit less common. Since I'm just outside of Phila I don't have a hard time getting materials - usually. This year is a bit different than most.

How thick is the aluminum that you will be cutting? I would be interested in how you are handling the metal chips if you are talking about cutting aluminum other than Dibond type material.
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router

Probably up to 1/4" is the thickest I expect to cut on a regular basis. Right now I'm getting some 1/8" letters done by an associate, wishing i had my machine in place. I'd have had it by now if not for my bank screwing around with me. Avoid PNC bank like the plague!

For the aluminum chips I'm searching out options on dust collection systems. I'll probably have to go with an "industrial" unit capable of handling metal fragments. I'd bet that the average dust system would be quickly ruined by aluminum if it was designed for wood.