Thread: Questions about an indexer

Default Questions about an indexer

I am contemplating getting the indexer, I have a Desktop Max.
    I understand that the Y axis would be disconnected and the signal routed to the indexer.
    Is it an option to use the indexer in addition to the XYZ axis that I already have, meaning that I would have 4 useable axis?
    Would this necessitate modifying the control box, and that is why it is not done, or is this even possible?

I am using VCarve Pro. Is this capable of getting the most out of the indexer or would I have to upgrade to Aspire?

One of the things I would like to do is make these bench legs.
    Note that the cross pieces intersect the square sections off center. There is a corresponding slot on the face of 2 sides of the square section to accept the tongue on the cross pieces, which are not on center.
    Also the 2 square sections are different sizes.
    The upper square section has a radius on the outer part.
    Would this leg be possible to fabricate as pictured using VCarve Pro and just the 3 axis: indexer, Y and Z axis?
    Thank you all for reading this, and I appreciate any comments or feedback.
    PICT0067.jpg

You won't be able to use all 4 axes at the same time. When you run the indexer, you park the carriage on the centerline of the rotary work piece. According to how your indexer is mounted, the X or Y axis is stationary. That axis then becomes the rotary axis A or B. So, if you had the indexer mounted along the X-axis, your Y-axis would be parked, then you would be moving X, Z, and A. You have to add a drive to your control box, so you will have 4 drives. The drives will all be energized, but the control software can only move 3 axes at a time. But, there is no physical swap of plugs or connections.

You can easily make that leg with the indexer. To make the off center slots, you wouldn't use a rotary cut file. You would just manually jog the rotary axis with the flat part of the leg facing up perpendicular to your cutter. Then just create a standard X, Y, Z flie from V-carve or Aspire to machine the slot.

I would go to the Vectric website to check on the capabilities of V-carve Pro with indexing. I use Aspire and I know that it would work.
    PRT Alpha with 7.2 upgrade, indexer, and PC router