Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enclosure for your PC/Laptop

Nice work with the 80/20 extrusions. Can you say what the total cost was for the project in materials?

Thanks.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Quote Originally Posted by coryatjohn View Post
    Nice work with the 80/20 extrusions. Can you say what the total cost was for the project in materials?

Thanks.
    $1100 for all the 80/20 components
    $470 for Acrylic materials
    $120 for Axial fan and duct hose
    3D printed all the hose flanges and hose mounts

80/20 materials are not cheap but well worth their price IMHO.
    I’ve used their materials in a past life and never been disappointed with the quality or finished products. Could have saved a couple of bucks but I ordered all except the door materials precut from them. Bought stock lengths (no cutting charge) for the doors and cut them once all the framework was assembled.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Rtibbs View Post
    $1100 for all the 80/20 components
    $470 for Acrylic materials
    $120 for Axial fan and duct hose
    3D printed all the hose flanges and hose mounts

80/20 materials are not cheap but well worth their price IMHO.
    I’ve used their materials in a past life and never been disappointed with the quality or finished products. Could have saved a couple of bucks but I ordered all except the door materials precut from them. Bought stock lengths (no cutting charge) for the doors and cut them once all the framework was assembled.

Ron
    Thanks! Yes, 80/20 isn't cheap. I've built a lot of things out of their extrusions. Most of the material I bought from ebay or from recyclers. I find using their materials to be quite satisfying as they are very exact in dimensions and straight as the day is long.
    ShopBot Details:
    2013 PRS 96x60x12 (Centroid upgrade)
    4hp Spindle
    12" indexer
    Aspire
    Rhino
    Fusion 360
    Ferrari 360
    Prusa MK3S+
    Prusa XL multi-tool

Looks Excellent Ron!!
    (Dad would have loved it for our second Desktop that was setup in a handcarver's shop where the only noise was CCR on tapeplayer, and mallet on chisels....
    Dad would have hired you to make us one )

Is the backside doored as well for Tiling long stock through the Y-Axis?

Have to look up that Axial fan to see if good for through the wall mount for when I work with some solvents/finishes in a small/tight shop.

Not sure how wheelchair would work with that, but I LIKE it!
    Should last a few days(Errr....Make that Decades)
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott,
    The fan is an Infinity Cloudline S4 that I purchased from Amazon. It has a 4" hose diameter with a variable speed control. Very quiet even though I run it at max rpm most of the time.
    I've run a few jobs since completing the enclosure and very pleased with the results. I ran some sound checks before and after and am seeing a reduction of 25-30db at 3 feet!!
    The best part is the dust control. I just finished cutting a project from Mahogany which I find to be very dusty especially with 3D finish cuts. No dust at all outside the enclosure (Other than what is exhausted outside the shop)
    There are no doors on the rear of the enclosure however, I do have two large access panels I can remove for either tiling or access to the control board and connections.
    When I designed it I gave sufficient height so that he dust boot hose could freely traverse without snagging or getting pinched on anything. What I didn't account for is the fact that I'm 6'4" tall. My header above the front doors is only 69 1/2" from the floor. After bumping my head a couple of times I learned....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Ron!
    Like 28db sound level...can think of a few house applications!
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Thanks Ron!
    Like 28db sound level...can think of a few house applications!
    scott
    Scott,
    Wish it was 28db. It is a REDUCTION of about 28db. From 87-90 now down to about 60 -65. I think my days using a router were probably 90-100db.
    Thank goodness for spindles

I was talking about the fan Ron.
    Yep, doing small stuff and light cuts with small bits and the Fein Turbo II at #2 fan speed...with the spindle you could hold a business meeting in shop while making buttons
    With router...fugetaboutit!
    scott P.
    Maine