Thread: Cabin Plaques

Default Cabin Plaques

I made these cabin plaques for a friend's ranch property. I have cut them and put the first coat of sealer on them. I will get a few coats of sealer on and then I will spray them black to fill the lettering, then sand off the excess and hit it with one more coat of sealer.

I also need to turn them over and put a keyhole into the back side to hang them by. I will make a positional holder on the table (probably a scrap of plywood that is milled to the outside dimensions of the plaque. When doing this, I always make sure to remember to put finger pull positions in 2-3 places around the part, so it can be easily lifted back out.
    I also oversize by .003-.005" so it is a snug but easy fit, and then set each one in to mill the keyhole in it)

Anyway: My little evening project. Don't tell the the rancher. He doesn't know yet!HRYX0751[1].jpgHCYO1452[1].jpg

Here are the three of them, with the first coat of poly on them. It is going down to 25 degrees overnight, so it is not likely to cure very swiftly in a relatively un-heated building!
    IMG_9889[1].jpg

Nice job Monty!!
    Be a very pleasant surprise to him!
    scott
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    Nice job Monty!!
    Be a very pleasant surprise to him!
    scott
    I sure hope so. They are good folks and we enjoy being in their company a great deal.

I think I want to do a big sign that says Shield Ranch and maybe the year the ranch was established in their family. I bet that would go over well.

You got the machine for it Monty
    NOW the layup or a big piece of Western Red
    Just make sure you have a disclaimer that you are NOT responsible installing it!! ;-)
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine