Thread: Smallest V-bit?

Default Smallest V-bit?

I am using a 1/8" dia. 30 degree V-bit with a (claimed) .004" wide point.

I cannot achieve sufficient detail using this geometry.

Do you know of any pointier v-bits available off the shelf? 15 degree with a .002" point maybe?

Thanks,
    Brett

I have had zero success with any 30-degree bit… the tips are too fragile to last through a job! My go to bit is the 3-flute 60 degree laser point CMT bit.

SG

What kind of work do you do Brett?
    Is the bit entered properly as an Engraving bit(uses side angle...and stepover is % of the flat for Engraving bits) ?

My go-to 30's are either Onsrud's Engraving bits (conical type) in either .005 or .01" flat depending on the job.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001VXS1GK...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    I frequently use them to get the small details in 3Ds that the .25mm TBN doesn't quite get(I do a lot of Tiny stuff).
    But also use on .14-.25" fonts(especially script fonts)

My other go-to 30 is Drillman1's .125" shank with the Std. tip of .0125"
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5-30-degree-...gAAOxyqUpQ4cc1
    (do NOT buy the "Sharp" tip on that 30...it's the only bit I and several others have broken tips on of his Kyoceras....the 60* "Sharp" is Great with a .006" flat)
    It doesn't mention the flat ,but unless it mentions "Sharp", the tip is .0125"
    Says "soft plastic", but if Ebony/Red Ironbark/Indian Rosewood/and Bloodwood cut perfectly.....I guess they're "Plastic"

I have Both those bits entered as both VBits and Engraving bits...but as VBit the preview won't be 100% accurate by half the tip flat, and it carves a hair deeper....
    Play with it a bit to get used to when to use it as a VBit....and do some scrap first.

Here are just a couple of detailed 3Ds, and the smaller fonts are generally .15- .2" font height(usually with the "Bold" option checked)

A pic of the exact problem would help.
    scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    scott P.
    2013 Desktop/spindle/VCP 11.5**
    Maine

Scott- You do lovely work! And offer up good advice, too. Keep posting! You make me want to do more interesting work!!!

Thanks Monty!
    You should see the HUGE10X14 INCH spalted Sugar Maple branch crotch "Firewood" 3D I was doing today!
    I'll post it when it's done.
    scott
    scott P.
    Maine

Are any of those bits suitable for aluminum? I'm really looking for something to score aluminum for bending on a sheet metal brake. I know I'll use other bits to cut out the aluminum but also want to score the fold lines while it's on the machine.

Thanks!

Sorry Rocco.
    No personal experience in metal(except pure tin VInlay Drillman1's 60 degree 1/8"shank) so really can't say.
    Probably the Onsrud's would work, but I'd check their catalogue. Fairly sure a single flute Engraving 30 degree could take it.

Possibly Drillman1s I posted, but only way to find out is to try his 30 degree(NOT the "Sharp" tip!!)....inexpensive and fast shipping.
    Listen to anybody else with aluminum experience First!
    Might be good to post type of aluminum.
    scott P.
    Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco.G View Post
    Are any of those bits suitable for aluminum? I'm really looking for something to score aluminum for bending on a sheet metal brake. I know I'll use other bits to cut out the aluminum but also want to score the fold lines while it's on the machine.

Thanks!
    If you are looking to just score the aluminum you might try a Diamond drag bit. (Just make sure your router/spindle is turned off with the diamond drag bit)

Quote Originally Posted by scottp55 View Post
    What kind of work do you do Brett?

scott
    We make Mah Jongg tiles.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. It sounds like we've reached the limit on minimum engraving line width.

Brett